Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What to do with this new Hd

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Jamis

What to do with this new Hd

#1 Post by Jamis »

Hey all, I've been a long time Win XP pro user wanting to switch over to a linux based os for about a year now. I've been reading and researching for about a month now and just this Christmas I got a Maxtor 6Y060L0. Well, with that I planed to put a copy of debian 3.0 on it and multiboot. I downloaded the first debain cd (cd1), burned it using nero and commenced in starting the installation.
Laying my pc with innards for the world to see on the kitchen table I Inserted cd1 in my master optical and was greeted with a welcome screen of sorts. I press F3 and told it to start the installation for bf24. Here's were the funny stuff starts to happen. None of the other flavor will work, only bf24. I can't explain why, I the newcomer remember.
Well, shortly after starting I'm already choosing my language and configuring my keyboard. I tell it I'm US, Eng, and then start with the partitioning faze. I create 3 partitions, 1 for the os which is roughly 8gigs and bootable, another swap space which is just a measly 1gig and the last as free space and what was left.
I initialize the swap partition and mount the root partition and commence to installing the Install kernel and driver modules. This is where my problem is. Everything is fine until I'm told my cdrom can't successfully be mounted. After that I am sent back to the main menu.
I’ve downloaded cd1 twice now and burned it the same. I’ve also tried the update, but all to no avail. Heck, I’ve even downloaded cd5 just for the hell of it and tried it, but I can see that was just a waist. So, here I am. I’m out of ideas so I’m turning to you guys. I’m hoping this is just something simple that one day I can look back and laugh at, but if not, well, crap happens. What do you guys recommend? Suggestions are welcomed even flames if they are helpful.

peschmae

#2 Post by peschmae »

The point is that Woody - Debian 3.0 - is quite old so you might experience problems when installing it on newer Hardware. (This is also why it only works with bf24 - the default Kernel is one of the 2.2 series - even older)

Now - as you are installing your system today - I would recommend you to use Sarge (Testing) as Woody is really quite old.
You can fetch the latest CD image from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ (note that it is still not released, means beta, though it works for lots of people (and does not for some others))
I think you might want the networkinstall-cd http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-t ... etinst.iso - this one contains everything to install the base system (about 110 MB) but nothing more. The rest you can install (up-to date) from the net.

Peschmä
-- Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell

Jamis

#3 Post by Jamis »

Thanks peschmae, I got it too work, but the systems so unstable it's not funny. Lock-ups are common. I'm sure its not the software, but my hardware. I've tried 5 other distro's now and when installing I get the same error. Disabling Irq # (insert number here) error goes on and on and on. The sixth distro, knoppix, had no such problem, when boot into ram, but when installed was without a kernel. I don't know how that happens or even if it can, but the system was so slow, trying to browse the web with mozilla was a click and go in living room and plug in a dvd affair Anybody else on these forums have that problem? I thinking my asus p4800-e and linux don’t' play nice together. Tips?

peschmae

#4 Post by peschmae »

This *could* be a hardware problem. Maybe the ram? Linux seems to be somewhat more problematic with defective Ram than Windows (meaning Windows might work with defective Ram whereas Linux does not).
Maybe try a memtest run?

Did you do the install with Linux 2.4 or 2.6? Maybe it works better with 2.6 (enter linux26 at the boot prompt).

Disabling acpi and apic (acpi=off and apic=off) might help as well. To do this copy your default entry in /etc/grub/menu.list and append the two commands on the kernel-line:
kernel (hdx)/vmlinuz blabla acpi=off apic=off
and then boot using the new item in the bootloader.

Peschmä
-- Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell

Jamis

#5 Post by Jamis »

I sure it's not my ram. I'm guessing the installation wasn't complete or something in it didn't go well. I installed a version of debian and knoppix and both had the same slowness problems, yet when I booted knoppix's livecd all went well and has many times before. I've been looking around and it seems people with the same mb as me have been having problems running linux too. I can't explain why; maybe something in the bios, but I'm not going to mess with it anymore, I don't have the patience. I tried it on an older machine I had sitting around and it worked fine without any problems. In fact it's running knoppix 3.6 as we speak from the hd. It's not fast, but I'm getting out what I want to with it; experience with linux. Thanks again peschmae, I'll try that and see what happens.