Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Xorg

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
fender1212

Xorg

#1 Post by fender1212 »

Alright, well first time trying debian (have been going distro to distro for years) and it was a good smooth installation, except, the thing that is really starting to piss me off, is that i can't seem to install X.org. i tryed "apt-get install xorg" i tried "apt-get install Xorg" and "apt-get install X.org" and finally "apt-get install Xorg" all of which it couldn't find it in the tree. so, i did dselect and went into the select mode, and browsed through the thing for hours, too never find Xorg. i found Xfree86, but not Xorg. any help would be appreciated

fender1212

#2 Post by fender1212 »

furthermore is there an easy way to find ANYTHING in the apt-get tree????

Wolven

#3 Post by Wolven »

Apt has a search function you can use:

Code: Select all

apt-cache search FOO
I recomend taking a look at Synaptic, which is a nice frontend to apt. If you are using Gnome you'll find it under: Applications --> System Tools --> Synaptic Package Manager.
If you're not using Gnome you can find it in the Debian Menu under: Apps --> System --> Synaptic Package Manager.

P.S. There is a bug with Synaptic that prevents it from showing icons in the toolbar ATM, but you'll find all the functions in the menus.

There is a thread on xorg here.