Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DOES RAID 1 REQUIRES BOOT FLAG ON????

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
carloseruiz

DOES RAID 1 REQUIRES BOOT FLAG ON????

#1 Post by carloseruiz »

Hello all, i just installed debian on my server, when partitioning the hard drives i did set /dev/hda1 with the boot flag on and /dev/hdc1 the same way then created the RAID 1 after installing, grub created the normal entries for the raid root=/dev/md0 and 2 extra entries for root=/dev/hda1 and root=/dev/hdc1 so i reinstalled the system and this time i didn't set any boot flag in any partition, this worked ok the entries on grub are just the expected that is entries for root=/dev/md0 but this makes me wonder which of the two set ups is correct ???? am i going to have problems recovering for a disk crash ????

Any light on the subject will be appreciated

racoontje

#2 Post by racoontje »

DOES TOPIC REQUIRES CAPS LOCK ON????

GRUB doesn't care about boot flags.

carloseruiz

#3 Post by carloseruiz »

mmm I think i wasnt clear, here is the question, in order to use RAID 1, do i have to set the boot flag in any of the partitions involved???? (i will be booting from the raid device) i am setting the raid at the install time. thanks for you help.

racoontje

#4 Post by racoontje »

I repeat. GRUB doesn't care. GRUB is what makes you boot. You don't need to set the boot flag -- wether you use RAID or not.

#5 Post by Guest »

Hello racoontje, thank you very much for your repllies, just one more question, what is that boot flag for then???? it is that just grub doesnt use it an lilo does or neither of them uses it ??? thank in advance for you valuable help.