Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian/Fdisk big Harddrive support

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bitphire

Debian/Fdisk big Harddrive support

#1 Post by bitphire »

I have a 40 gig and a 300 gig hard drive. If i install debian on the 40 gig will be able to use the 300 gig (all of it)? Basically I am wondering if there is a limitation on hard drive size. My MotherBoard see it just fine and i know with xp there is a limitation but it is fixed with SP1 and SP2. I am just asking cuz i tried to do a dual boot and i sectioned 20 gigs from the 300 to install bebian but when i got to the fdisk portion of the install it only showed part of the disk. Does fdisk have a limit? Maybe i just misread it but i am just curios.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

I don't think fdisk would have such limitation. However, if you are curious, try other fdisk programs. There are cfdisk, fdisk and sfdisk. If any of these sees your hard disk well, use that one.
From the manual of fdisk:
"Indeed, cfdisk is a beautiful program that has strict requirements on the partition tables it accepts, and produces high quality partition tables. Use it if you can.
fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy things - usually it happens to produce reasonable results. Its single advantage is that it has some support for BSD disk labels and other non-DOS partition tables. Avoid it if you can.
sfdisk is for hackers only - the user interface is terrible, but it is more correct than fdisk and more powerful than both fdisk and cfdisk. Moreover, it can be used noninteractively."