Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

change /etc/fstab in Debian Live

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
cc

change /etc/fstab in Debian Live

#1 Post by cc »

hi

I've Lenny and I've created an customized LIVE USB image using live-helper.
My problem is I need to add an entry into /etc/fstab.
Howto rebuild include the new /etc/fstab entry?

fsmithred

Re: change /etc/fstab in Debian Live

#2 Post by fsmithred »

I'm not certain this will work, but try putting your customized file in live/config/chroot_local-includes/etc/fstab and build a new image.

Maybe you don't already know this, but any customizations to your home directory go in the same place - chroot_local-includes/etc/skel holds your home dir. If you make an iso image, you can boot it in virtualbox, configure the settings the way you want, and copy your entire home directory. There are a few ways of doing that.

Another way to do it is to make a partition on the usb stick and give it a disk label called live-rw. Then you'll be able to make changes to the system when it's running (if you boot with persistent mode) and those changes will remain in place when you reboot.

cc

#3 Post by cc »

Thx a lot, I'll try but howto configure to boot with persistent mode?

TobiSGD

#4 Post by TobiSGD »

You can find the info about persistence and live-helper in the live-helper manual.
Manual: http://live.debian.net/manual/
Persistence: http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/c ... s.html#498

fsmithred

#5 Post by fsmithred »

With lenny live images, the boot screen gives you a prompt at the bottom. Just add the words:

Code: Select all

live persistent
and hit ENTER to boot.
With squeeze, you have to edit the kernel line (I forget which key you hit to get into the menu, but it tells you that on the boot screen) and add the word, persistent.
You must have a partition labeled 'live-rw' or 'home-rw' for this to work.

cc

#6 Post by cc »

fsmithred wrote:With lenny live images, the boot screen gives you a prompt at the bottom. Just add the words:

Code: Select all

live persistent
and hit ENTER to boot.
With squeeze, you have to edit the kernel line (I forget which key you hit to get into the menu, but it tells you that on the boot screen) and add the word, persistent.
You must have a partition labeled 'live-rw' or 'home-rw' for this to work.
Thx, but howto hardcode this live persistent option, before build an image, to boot automatically?

fsmithred

#7 Post by fsmithred »

I think the way you'd do it is this: After you run lh_config blah-blah, edit (as root) live/binary/syslinux/menu.cfg to add the word, persistent, to the append initrd line, somewhere after where it says, "boot=live". Then run lh_build.

Instead of just editing the existing entry, you could copy it, then add "persistent" to the extra entry. That should give you a choice at the boot menu between live and live persistent. Edit the LABEL to give the entries different names. The default boot is set in prompt.cfg and selects according the the LABEL. It looks like the label needs to be a single word.

Edit: you could probably do it after the build and after imaging the usb stick, by plugging the stick into a running system, mount the DEBIAN_LIVE partition, and edit the files as needed. You might even be able to do that as user. I don't have a stick with syslinux bootloader right now to test it.

cc

#8 Post by cc »

Thx a lot again, to add /etc/fstab, before rebuild, worked perfectly and now I'll try to create a persistent.