Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Clarified] No 4312 wireless firmw for Squeeze installer

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
OracleFan

Re: [Clarified] No 4312 wireless firmw for Squeeze installer

#16 Post by OracleFan »

TobiSGD wrote:
holocene wrote:The main purpose of this thread: I've been relating my mostly good Debian experience in my local LUG, where others have noted that Debian is a harder install due to the "absence" of non-free firmware. I wanted to show that Debian does provide an install solution, even if it is a little less convenient. But so far, I can't find the prompted files, so I have a problem countering their complaint.
The issue with firmware for Broadcom cards is not a Debian-only problem, until now I can not remember one Distro that had the firmware pre-installed, or integrated in the installer. If I had known that before, I had never bought a laptop with a Broadcom device (and in future I know that I won't).
Gladly, Broadcom is, AFAIK, the only manufacturer for wireless devices with such a restrictive license, so for most laptops with cards from a different manufacturer the installer-CD with integrated firmware should work.
In the new Linux Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, i know for a fact that it will install the driver software and fix the problem immediately.

madtyn

#17 Post by madtyn »

Hi, I got the same problem and found this by googling. I did what taiyal wrote and got the b43 folder with all the ".fw" files, but I don't want to re-install Debian, because I tried to mend this error after having finished installing.

Is there any way of applying these files without re-installing?

Thank you in advance.

maxnort

#18 Post by maxnort »

I have hated broadcom for creating this issue for a good long time, and have wanted an installation work-around for years. for what it's worth, I'm moving back to Debian after a stint with Ubuntu. I just installed Jessie on a pair of Lenovo T61's, and had to load Intel chipset firmware. and then for the Broadcom devices, I run into this.

I mean, since the installer is asking for ucode15.fw to install, why is there not an unofficial ucode15.fw for those who Choose to, to download from a non-debian website, and drop into their firmware folder on the installation media? Debian is not distributing it, and it is simply taking advantage of an existing resource for installing legitimate firmware. like this: https://github.com/OpenELEC/wlan-firmware

oh, well. one day I may learn to code as well as do everything else. In any event, I'm bringing about 25 boxes back to debian from ubuntu. and some of these I will have to do the hard way.

:wink:

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

maxnort

#20 Post by maxnort »

or, using a fresh install of 32bit Jessie with KDE (it's an old Atom processor), open "Apper", dig around to find where to add the "contrib" and "non-free" repositories, let it update software packages, search for "b43", and install it from the GUI.

I'd explain more about where to dig around in Apper, but I'm on my cell phone. also, I had to wait 24 hours before Jessie let me use the device. that doesn't seem right, and I'll be exploring why it didn't come up right away if I get the chance.