Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tricky laptop installation, need help

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
dhs odium

Tricky laptop installation, need help

#1 Post by dhs odium »

Ok, I have an old Dell Inspiron 7000 (P2 333, 226mbram, 8mb ati card, 5gb harddrive), and I want to install Debian on it.

Here is where the problem comes in... The CD drive does not work, it does, however, have a floppy drive. But there is no ethernet port, I have only a wireless pcmcia card. I have no idea how to do a net installation using wireless, is there a way?

The laptop has 1 usb port, and I have an iPod, but I don't think the laptop supports booting from a usb port (how do I go about finding this out?).

If anyone can figure out a way to make this work it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

dhs odium

Can anyone help?

#2 Post by dhs odium »

Ok, the laptop does not support booting from usb.

So, here is all I ask: Is it possible to install Debian with only a floppy drive and a wireless pcmcia card?

Grommet - Space Cadet

#3 Post by Grommet - Space Cadet »

well,

you have to create a boot floppy with USB support, Mount the USBFS so you have access to the netinstaller, Chroot across to the USBfs then fire off the installer.....all reasonably simple but i don't see any How-tos maybee some of the alternate boot disks can do it.