Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Debian Squeeze installation freezes at partitioning

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Masapena

[Solved] Debian Squeeze installation freezes at partitioning

#1 Post by Masapena »

Hi! I'm new to the Debian, but not to Linux. I've previously used Ubuntu for a few years, so I know something about how a successful intallation should look like. I'm currently using Windows 7.

I downloaded the debian-6.0.3-amd64-gnome-netinst.iso from http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.3/amd64/iso-cd/, and then made a USB pendrive using the Windows version of Unetbootin. The MD5 sum for the .iso-file was the correct one, b663727d7f5b572c329cea8e2ff5e29c.

I used the usual non-graphical setup, without any special options. The installation process went without hiccups until the "Starting up the partitioner" -screen freezes at "Scanning disks...". The bar stops at 50%. It never progresses any farther, even after an hour. It doesn't give any errors either. After I pressed Alt+F4, the last lines were:

Code: Select all

partman:	No matching physical volumes found
partman:	No volume groups found
partman:	Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
partman-lvm:	No volumegroups found
Exactly the same happens with firmware-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.iso too, or any of the live versions I tried. The result of graphical installation was also nothing. The USB pendrive created by LinuxLive USB Creator was nonoperative in exactly the same way.

The computer is brand new, without any previous OS installations. My desktop computer has the following parts:
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, AM3, 2.8 GHz (HDT55TFBGRBOX)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, AM3+, AMD 970, DDR3, ATX
    Videocard: Gigabyte GT 430
    Memory: Kingston 2x2 GB, DDR3 1066MHz, CL7 (KVR1066D3N7K2/4G)
    Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
    Powersupply: OCZ 600W ModXstream, ATX 2.2, (OCZ600MXSP-EU)
I searched several forums, but did not find anything that helped and I'm still stumped. If you need any other information, I will deliver it.
Last edited by Masapena on 2011-11-13 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Aris Veresie

Re: Debian Squeeze netinstallation freezes at partitioning

#2 Post by Aris Veresie »

Masapena wrote: I downloaded the debian-6.0.3-amd64-gnome-netinst.iso
That image does not exist, I'll take that as a typing mistake.

The best you can do is check your HDD and your RAM.
Being anonymous is the same as being an idiot.

Masapena

#3 Post by Masapena »

ArisVer wrote:
Masapena wrote: I downloaded the
debian-6.0.3-amd64-gnome-netinst.iso
That image does not exist, I'll take that as a typing mistake.
Yeah, the correct name is debian-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.iso.
ArisVer wrote:The best you can do is check your HDD and your RAM.
Well, I'm going to try to check them later.

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

http://silvatechsolutions.com/main/2010 ... t6421-bug/
?

How to work around that? No clue, sorry (in case that is the problem and you want to stick with squeeze)
I had such an error, i can't remember where, and could workaround by first doing the partitioning via live-CD... but that was a different case (and i barely remember, i did a quick search with seeks, hoping i could remember by that, but i couldn't. Thats how i found the link above).
Good luck.

few seconds later... mhhh... if you got an old harddisk or usb-stick you could install to that, then upgrade the kernel (say from backports), and then move the whole shebang to the new harddrive (say via rsync). No biggie, but all assuming the link above is the right hint.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

emariz

#5 Post by emariz »

Already tried partitioning your disk with a live CD (like the latest Parted Magic) and then installing Debian? One time I couldn't install Debian if I deleted the disk partition table within the installer.

If you needed a newer kernel, you could try the installer with the Backports kernel:
http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

Masapena

#6 Post by Masapena »

emariz wrote:If you needed a newer kernel, you could try the installer with the Backports kernel:
I downloaded squeeze-custom-amd64-0808.iso from that site and everything is smooth now. Installation is complete and the problem is solved.

asbjorn

Re: [Solved] Debian Squeeze installation freezes at partitio

#7 Post by asbjorn »

I have exactly the same problem. It both when installing squeeze and when trying to install testing. See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=655099

I also tried using the latest kernel from http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/ , as suggested, but that did not help either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Asbjørn S.

asbjorn

#8 Post by asbjorn »

It turned out that parted had a bug causing it to crash when it encountered a small USB stick that I had plugged in. Removing (unplugging) that small USB stick allowed me to get through partitioning and the rest of the installation.

The parted crash was not reported by the installer. But I could see parted crashing when running parted manually from another console. (To be able to do this, one must have ticked of parted in the earlier installation step where one is allowed to include extra modules.)

Asbjørn S.

unclouded

#9 Post by unclouded »

Encountering the same issue ( partman hung at 50% every time showing "scanning disks"), this is how I got around it ( I didn't have the option of removing the USB stick since it contained the installation media!).

Note: the following is a scary hack. Do this at your own risk.

When the installer hangs at 50%, open the second console and:

Code: Select all

fdisk /dev/sda  # ..and set up partitions.  "sda" is an *example*.  Check your devices!
mkfs.ext4 -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1  # No journal only because installing on Flash
mkdir /target
mount -t ext4 -o noatime /dev/sda1 /target
nano /var/lib/dpkg/info/partman-base.postinst  # ..and comment out the line that starts partman
Then kill the partman processes, go back to the menu and try to "partition disks" again. The step will magically complete ( now a no-op) and you can then complete the installation.

This was while installing Debian 6.0.4 from an 8GB USB stick to a 4GB CF in a CF-to-IDE adapter on an Athlon XP 2700+ to give you an idea of the vintage of the hardware.

grgsword

#10 Post by grgsword »

Only one add:
you may have to load the ext4 module before mounting the filesystem, using the command
modprobe ext4

andre@home

#11 Post by andre@home »

Masapena wrote:
emariz wrote:If you needed a newer kernel, you could try the installer with the Backports kernel:
I downloaded squeeze-custom-amd64-0808.iso from that site and everything is smooth now. Installation is complete and the problem is solved.
A question. Why did you not use Jessie (debian 8.x amd)? Just curious. Your hardware should be able to handle it?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

Attack of the killer zombie thread! :)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

Masapena wrote: » 2011-11-13 04:49
sunrat wrote:Attack of the killer zombie thread! :)

+1
Zombies is right ! Maybe they don't know how to read either. :mrgreen:
by andre@home » 2015-11-14 09:14:>A question. Why did you not use Jessie (debian 8.x amd)? Just curious. Your hardware should be able to handle it?
Did you look at the date of this , » 2011-11-13 04:49 <<<<

In case you didn't know, Debian 8.x amd had not yet been invented, much less released.

andre@home

#14 Post by andre@home »

GarryRicketson wrote:
Masapena wrote:
by andre@home » 2015-11-14 09:14:>A question. Why did you not use Jessie (debian 8.x amd)? Just curious. Your hardware should be able to handle it?

In case you didn't know, Debian 8.x amd had not yet been invented, much less released.
No... I did NOT.... :o
In forums it is generally not done to kick up ~4 yrs old topics, even if it concerns your problem, add it as a link to avoid confusion....
It will keep the forum more clear... 8)

And... I just installed Jessie on our servers... so yes I knew when it was released... the fact that 2 things happen at the same time... does not mean there is a relation between them, this may just be a coincidence... not a scientific relation... :lol:

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#15 Post by kiyop »

To andre@home,

You made a mistake in quoting GarryRicketson's.
Learn how to quote.
GarryRicketson wrote:

Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

andre@home

#16 Post by andre@home »

Sorry I did not know that this was the extremeley most important part of my reply.... :lol:

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#17 Post by kiyop »

andre@home wrote:Sorry I did not know that this was the extremeley most important part of my reply.... :lol:
I do not mean that it was the extremely most important part of your reply ;)
But you made at least two mistakes in this thread.
Good bye.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

andre@home

#18 Post by andre@home »

So even for you it is impossible to be clear enough to give an answer that may only be interpreted in one way... and you try to blame me for 2 small mistakes... :oops:

Well.. if this is your major task in this forum, lots of success, filling up your time with this... I prefer to go back to the contents... and accept that I'm not perfect... I certainly will make new, other (hopefully only) small mistakes...

For the rest let's leave forum mistakes to the admins of the forum, which you aren't... :oops:
That keeps the atmosphere more clear here and will give more fun to serious questions others have instead of going into details that were initially not caused by me.

I just reacted on an answer that was given by someone who kicked up a topic that was already a few years old. Maybe I should have seen that, sorry I did not ... and that where it all started with Garry and you about my small mistakes...

I'm going back to do more useful matters.. 8)