Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Weekly Sarge ISO images

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Artik

Weekly Sarge ISO images

#1 Post by Artik »

Hi,

I have a question:

I've downloaded 2-3 weeks ago latest Sarge installation ISOs (Debian weekly).But from what I can see it contains Gnome 2.6, KDE 3.2 when in the section of testing packages the latest verstions are Gnome 2.8, KDE 3.3 etc.

Why didn't I get the latest SW? Is there some reason for this?
Because now to install from internet some pakages I need to update lots of other packages (Anjuta for example requires update of lots of GTK libs). Also if I want to run "update" and get latest SW I need to download 400MB of packages :?

What is the point of latest images?
Maybe it is worth to do net installation from the begging and get latest SW?

Thanks.

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

I'm guess the reason why they would do the weekly images might be for people who don't have fast connection. It would make sense for them to just try to maintain via CD rather than dialup.

Unlike FC, I do like the fact that upgrades in Debian are painless. In distros like FC (I'm not trying to degrade FC), you have to do a big upgrade whenever there is a new release. Debian and I believe Gentoo don't suffer from this.

artik

#3 Post by artik »

The point is that weekly images don't have really recent packages:
In order to make update I need to downlad 400MB!!!

The Gnome version that is included is 2.6 when latest for testing is 2.8 same for KDE 3.2 when the latest is 3.3.

Why?