Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Fatal error with installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Imran

Fatal error with installation

#1 Post by Imran »

Hey there!

I installed Debian(woody) on my system.
and well everything goes well and all.. until the end of the install.
it says on or more packages are not installed with : "sub-proces /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)"

and i dont see a graphical envirment either .. :? so i type startx right.

and there i see a fatal server error: no screens found :? :?

am a newbie in debian(even Linux!).. hope 1 of you got the answer..

thanks!

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

Try installing a package called "kudzu" and then run it to see if it can detect your video card or monitor.

If all else fails, try the live CDs such as knoppix or gnoppix to see if it works with those. Usually, they do a pretty nice job with hardware detection.

lacek

#3 Post by lacek »

Try this:
apt-get install xserver-xfree86

After download, it will ask a few questions about your video card and monitor. Answer those. If you can't find out what driver to use with your card, please use the "vesa" driver for testing, and post the output of the "lspci" command here.
After the install finished, you should be able to start x.
To effectively use it, however, you should install some window/desktop managers (try 'apt-get install kde' or 'apt-get install gnome').

Also, if you intend to use a desktop computer, you should install sarge, not woody. Packages in woody are painfully outdated...

At any rate, please post what package the installer failed on. I'm just curious, there should no such package in woody...