Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
r3dman1122

Debian Install

#1 Post by r3dman1122 »

Hello to all. I am new to the Unix/Linux world. I would like to do a network install of Debian across the internet. If someone could help me with this, I would appreciate it.

If you will do sort of a step by step because like I said I am new to this environment and I don't want to miss anything.

Thanks in advance.

r3dman1122 :lol:
"L.I.I.G's.Hs"

Grommet - Space Cadet

#2 Post by Grommet - Space Cadet »

download the sarge netinstaller ISO....cut cd...boot from cd....follow prompts.....

the core system is from CD then you apt-get the apps etc ...

give it a go when you get stuck post...most times you get a response in a few hours....

theres nto much hard about the new installer but after you get past the main pert of the installer it will ask you what kind of apps you want loaded....

r3dman1122

Debian Install

#3 Post by r3dman1122 »

Thanks. Everything went ok. It's just that when I booted from the CD I only had about 3/4 of the screen with a break and the 1/4 at the top. At some promts I could not see the last couple choices, but I got the install to work. I think everything is there.

What I am trying to do now is fix the display. It is too big. I will lk up what I can while at work. Also I want to ck the partitions (/home, /root, /usr, etc) and divid them if need be.

Any help would be appreciated.
"L.I.I.G's.Hs"

#4 Post by Guest »

Yeah, like GSC said, just download the netinstaller iso and burn to disk and get after it.

The netinstall gives good directions (step-by-step) as the process goes forward. Just be sure you have all your network settings handy, and you know what hardware you have in your box. You should also have some idea what software you want to install along with the base install, if any. After that, you can use apt-get to install other packages.

I personally like to install using the "businesscard.iso" because it gives me the minimum files needed to get a successful network install going, and picks up all the latest system files during the install.

I usually pick up the businesscard.iso image here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-t ... 6/current/

Good luck with it, and do let us know how it goes... :D

ozar

#5 Post by ozar »

Oops... looks like I wasn't logged in when I replied above, and it also appears you were posting while I was.

Sorry 'bout that! :oops: :)