Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing without keyboard.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
RVP

Installing without keyboard.

#1 Post by RVP »

Hi,
i have this quite old pc and i want to install debian on it, just for ftp and web server. The problem is that my keyboard doesn't seem to work anymore, i've tried 2, both do nothing, i can't even get into my bios. So i think it's malfunctioning on my motherboard somehow. Now i have an idea to make it work anyway:
1) place the hard disk in my other pc
2) install debian, configure network and ssh
3) port the hard disk to my old pc
4) complete everything else with ssh
Now i'd like to know if you think this is possible, or a total waste of time and effort?
I've come up with some small problems, like what about the boot loader, the different netwerk cards i use on my different pc's, ...

Comments, suggestions, ideas, ...?
Thanks

Grommet - Space Cadet

#2 Post by Grommet - Space Cadet »

buy a new keyboard.....plug it into USB or PS/2

unlikely both ports are screwed...

Terje

#3 Post by Terje »

Grommet - Space Cadet wrote:buy a new keyboard.....plug it into USB or PS/2

unlikely both ports are screwed...
unlikely that it even has an USB port so just the PS/2 screwed is very well possible. And to answer your question, I think it should be possible if you load the correct hardware modules when installing it on your other pc. Haven't tried anything like it so not sure, but I'd try it :)
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

RVP

#4 Post by RVP »

the new keyboard isn't a solution, as i said, it's an old pc, it works with the old keyboard-connector, doesn't have any usb or ps/2.
I'm going to try it, i'll see if it works or not.
thanks

Wolven

#5 Post by Wolven »

If your keyboardless install does not work you can get a PS/2 to AT adaper. Mabye they have those in your local computer shop.