Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB??

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Igrok

USB??

#1 Post by Igrok »

Hey all, I am a recent Debian convert and I loaded Sarge, however, I have no USB support for my USB mouse. How do I get the kernel to recognize the USB mouse?
Why do you NEVER see motorcycles parked outside of Psychiatrists' offices? Hmmmmm.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

If you use a stock kernel, probably
modprobe usbhid
is the command you're looking for. If you try to compile your own kernel, the following options must be enabled (either compiled-in, or as a module):
UHCI HCD (or OHCI HCD)
USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
HID input layer support

Igrok

#3 Post by Igrok »

Okay - I did a modprobe for usbhid and it can't locate the module. What now?

BTW, thanks for helping a newbie out :wink:
Why do you NEVER see motorcycles parked outside of Psychiatrists' offices? Hmmmmm.

Igrok

#4 Post by Igrok »

I loaded up Knoppix and did an LSPCI to see what all it loaded and noticed it picked up everything. It found the usb by "hotplug" - is that a kernel module or a package I can add to Debian?

Igrok

#5 Post by Igrok »

SOLVED!! I ran LSPCI on a knoppix session and copied everything down. I rebooted the install cd and loaded up kernel 2.6 (as suggested in another post) See? I really DO search the forums before posting :wink: and after loading up 2.6, it worked. I know have 2.6 kernel base install with x windows and kde - no gnome stuff to clutter up the install. WOOT WOOT!!