Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

bash says no "make" command in debian-woody-base

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
piff

bash says no "make" command in debian-woody-base

#1 Post by piff »

Hi yo!
Sorry for bothering, this should be a misunderstanding of mine, but I'm so a User, as a rooky can be:)

My problem:
I've recently installed the Debian-Woody-Base distribution from floppy disks :D to my trashy IBM Thinkpad 760ED (stoneage stuff without ability to boot from CD-ROM) and was thinking of putting on X and other utils through apt-get, but there is no way I could figure out howto install (or whatsoever) the PCMCIA LAN card.

Found driver.
Spent hours with howtos.
Finally, when I thought I've figured out everything, a boundary gained life: The driver manual said copy this to there, then type "make config", "make install", etc. and everything will work out well from then automaticly.
Well, it didn't. My bash told me she has no idea what do I mean by "make config".
I found no link in howtos, howto add this command, that should do things for me. It's not like the oldschool MS DOS, where I could simply copy the COM file in :(
Now what?

How do I supposed to install my PCMCIA LAN card?

Piff (just a silent XP user trying to break out)

pigah

#2 Post by pigah »

do you have make installed?

if not you're going to have to download the debs from debian.org (or a friendly mirror) of make and all its dependencies. i can't tell from your description if you installed gcc, but i assume you did. if not, you will have a lot to download and run through your floppy.

once you get the .debs simply dpkg -i make.*.deb and that will install it.

pifff

#3 Post by pifff »

Thanks, I'll try that one out!

piff

#4 Post by piff »

Jet again, stuck:
Thank you very much for the info, it worked just well, so the next step is:

Code: Select all

Linux source tree /usr/src/linux is incomplete or missing!

But I did not change any of unknown things in unknown locations.
So how can I locate my kernel dir? Or Is the default woody setting is different? Or something is incompatible?

3.0.23-2002-05-21 debian-woody-base,
pcmcia-cs-3.1.8 driver (recommended)

I'm getting tired of it but still excited how my install will work out...

piff

#5 Post by piff »

So, again, but by stupid (experiencing period):

Jet again, stuck:
Thank you very much for the info, it worked just well, so the next step is:

Linux source tree /usr/src/linux is incomplete or missing! 
But I did not change any of unknown things in unknown locations.
So how can I locate my kernel dir? Or Is the default woody setting is different? Or something is incompatible?

3.0.23-2002-05-21 debian-woody-base,
pcmcia-cs-3.1.8 driver (recommended)

I'm getting tired of it but still excited how my install will work out...

pigah

#6 Post by pigah »

i think i misread your initial email. are you trying to install the pcmcia drivers or the driver for your specific card? i would guess that the card is already supported in the kernel, but you don't have the pcmcia drivers or the card services package.

rather than compiling those from source, try getting the packages for those

they are: kernel-pcmcia-modules-<kernel version>-386
pcmcia-cs

where <kernel-version> is the number of your kernel (i would assume it is 2.4.18).

stick with it. you'll get there soon!

#7 Post by Guest »

Thank you for your help, I'll do as you told me, but not now, I'm from top to toe with work, I think it'll be the weekend.
are you trying to install the pcmcia drivers or the driver for your specific card?
The answer is both. I have no idea, what is in my kernel, or where my kernel is, because in the

usr/src/
directory I myself have created the linux dir, there was none such there.
So how can I locate my kernel dir?
I still do not know :?
Do you?
I mean is there a specific file that I can find/locate/search for?