Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Xfsprogs-udeb Hangs Up Installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
wbelk7777

Xfsprogs-udeb Hangs Up Installation

#1 Post by wbelk7777 »

I am trying to install Debian 3.1 from a sarge rc3 cd. The cd contains the debian installer files and the base system files. At the boot prompt I used the linux26 command to install with a 2.6 kernel. During unpacking the installer files xfsprogs-udeb can not be unpacked. While installing the installer files the installation hangs with this file. I have reburned the iso 2 times at 4x. I have mdsum checked both the cd iso and the burned cd. The computer I am installing debian 3.1 on is a Pentium 200 Mhz with 32 MB ram. Thanks for your help.

wbelk7777

#2 Post by wbelk7777 »

I thought that I would post a little more information on the problem. When I do a linux24 install, the installation goes smooth. If I use linux26 or expert26 the installation fails, but the installation fails at different points in the linux26 and expert26 installs. Does this mean that my system is not supported by the 2.6 kernel? I did get a message in the expert26 install that said modules for of the some devices on my computer were not available, but maybe available latter for download. I am new to installing debian so I wasn’t sure what to expect. If the installation is failing because my hardware is not supported by the 2.6 kernel, why is the installation failing at unpacking the xfsprogs-udeb installer file and not latter in the installation?

Is there any advantage in using the 2.6 kernel instead on the 2.4 kernel on a computer this old?

Thanks for the help.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

Hm, I don't know your problem, but it sounds curious. In order to direct attention from the debian-installer developers, it'd be nice if you filed an installation report about this, with the details asked.

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-inst ... t-template

About advantage of 2.6 kernel on such an old system -- 2.6 has better concurrency handling, so it might be better. It's not really supposed to be bigger or slower than 2.4, but 2.4 *is* a bit more stable.