Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems installing debian(sarge) on raid0

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hypergig

Problems installing debian(sarge) on raid0

#1 Post by hypergig »

hey whats up gals and guys

I am trying to install Debian(sarge) on my home workstation:

amd 2000XP
512 ram
2x 80gig sata Western Digital hd's
asus A7N8X-E deluxe mother board /w built in
Silicon Image Sil 3112A sata raid controller
a raid0 stripe set is installed and functional

At the boot prompt i type in 'linux26' to use a 2.6 kernel so it will see my sata drives

Problem:

once i get to the partition part of the install it sees two 80 gig drives instead of one ~160ish raid drive. Do any of you know why this is? I'm sure the raid installed correctly. I would think if anything it would say “no hard drives detected”. How can it see the two drives when i have them raided through hardware?

Any input or knowledge would be soooo helpful. I spent many days (and nights :shock: ) reading fourmes and documents but with no luck.

Thank You

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

Try to find out if that card is supported in 2.6.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

This should be completely hardware-side, I guess... you'll probably need the documentation/manual about your raid controller.

Plan B is always to just go for software raid, what's supported in the linux kernel.