Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian woody on old PC

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Terje

Debian woody on old PC

#1 Post by Terje »

I wanted debian woody installed on a Pentium 1 200Mhz, 32mb ram.

After installing it a few days ago and having a few minor problem with getting the XFree86Config file right, it worked like a charm. I had KDE running, with openoffice, firefox, ... Everything I really wanted from this lil' old machine.

Yesterday I booted the machine and got some kind of CRC-error on boot. No problem, just a clean re-instal, had my XFree86Config still in my head so wouldn't be much work.

Guess again :s I reinstallled everything and get dependency problems(yes with stable :s) Tried re-running base-config a few times, getting packages from different sources, but still the same thing. Does anyone know how this could happen on a stable release? And a solution would be nice :p Else I'll just start re-installing again later tonight or something.

edit: forgot to mention the dependancy problem occur after selecting X and desktop env @ tasksel. No other things were selected.
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

First things first, you'll need more power for a graphical desktop such as KDE on that machine.

As for taskel, I was never a big fan of it. I just search the necessary packages I need then install using apt-get.

Terje

#3 Post by Terje »

sprucio wrote:First things first, you'll need more power for a graphical desktop such as KDE on that machine.

As for taskel, I was never a big fan of it. I just search the necessary packages I need then install using apt-get.
Well I proved it does work ;)

I had KDE running, Openoffice on it, firefox,...

It wasn't fast, but that's kinda normal, didn't expect it too :p

Just started trying again, made a bigger swap space this time, just to make sure :p

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

Terje

#4 Post by Terje »

ARGH had it running again, after a lot of difficulties with not enough ram while installing.

Got fluxbox on it, lightweight browser.. Worked like a charm :p

But then I wanted gaim for my msn account. Woody gaim didn't have the msn plugin, so I thought why not just upgrade to Sarge, wrong discission, system fucked up :p

Just gonna try again and again till it works again.

sprucio

#5 Post by sprucio »

If this is for a personal workstation, Woody won't cut it with the software that's on there.

I use Woody on my machine that acts as a firewall and file server.

Terje

#6 Post by Terje »

I don't need new software at all, so doesn't matter if it's an older browser or whatever. Only thing I'm gonna do now is get gaim from unstable release and hope that it doesn't give too much dependency probs :p