Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

linux24 or linux26?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Carlosinfl

linux24 or linux26?

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

When installing Linux from the "sarge" (debian) cd, you have a few boot options.

If you just press enter, it will load Debian with the 2.4.27-2-386 kernel. If you type "linux26", you will load the OS with a base 2.6.X kernel. I decided to wipe the disk and reinstall using the "linux26" boot option. Everything starts fine but then after I boot from disk, I select "linux26" - it goes through and detects hardware - it comes back to tell me that it is unable to find my CD ROM drives. It then asks if I have a disk or something with drivers...

Why if I boot with the default 2.4 - does everything go great but when I select the 2.6 kernel, it fails to recognize my system.

Please help.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

It doesn't matter what you install with, you can very easily change the kernel to actually run your system later.

Best to file an installation report though on the failure, so it can be fixed. This will be too late for sarge, unfortunately.

http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-i ... t-template

Carlosinfl

#3 Post by Carlosinfl »

I just installed a very base system with no GUI and the default 2.4 kernel. Now I am trying to understand how to install the latest 2.6 kernel.

Jeroen

#4 Post by Jeroen »