Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No DVD found at APT Config

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
AntsMc

No DVD found at APT Config

#1 Post by AntsMc »

Well, I'm a complete novice to Linux and thought installing Debian would be a laugh. But now, running into trouble, I'm going to have to embarrass myself and ask for help for something probably painfully obvious, since I haven't had any luck finding the answer anywhere...

This is all on the woody installer.

I got a Debian DVD from a vendor, and the installation went well, up until APT Config where the Debian DVD (or my DVD drive) suddenly disappears:

APT Config

This program was unable to auto-detect a CD-Rom, or there is no usable CD in the drive. Enter the device file to use to access your CD Rom and place a Debian CD in the drive

And, of course, there's the option of /dev/cdrom, which makes sense. But nothing can be seen.

If I skip all this stuff, without installing a GUI or anything else, and try for example 'apt-get install gnome' it stops at 'E:couldn't find package gnome'. If I skip back to the base-config, there's still no detection of the DVD.

So, my question really is, how can I get my DVD Drive and/or the DVD recognised so I can install stuff from the DVD? I don't think I've got much hope of learning how to use everything with the text interface, because I'm far too lazy :D

Any help would be appreciated!

trave11er

Re: No DVD found at APT Config

#2 Post by trave11er »

AntsMc wrote: This is all on the woody installer.

I got a Debian DVD from a vendor, and the installation went well, up until APT Config where the Debian DVD (or my DVD drive) suddenly disappears:
Most probably your IDE chipset is too new for woody (which is almost 3 years old by now). Initial boot probably works since the access there happens through BIOS calls, but there are no drivers available for it when the kernel tries to use it directly. I would highly recommend to try out the shiny new Sarge installer, media can be downloaded from

http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/

Good luck.