Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE will not work

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
dx11101

KDE will not work

#1 Post by dx11101 »

I wouldnt even say i have the linux basics down so if this problem seems trivial please be patient with me.

Since i have very little experience with linux troubleshooting any problem that arises is usually a dead stop for me.

heres the scoop:

Downloaded Sarge last wednesday using BT
Installed Saturday on my old 80 gig for testing, before i mess with my main hdd

Installed fine but the GUI wouldnt load, so i edited xf86Config-4 and changed my video driver from "nv" to "vesa" and it worked.

Logged in and noticed i was not using KDE, but infact i was using Gnome. Logged out and changed my session to KDE and made it the default.

Then i get this error in a white box.
"Could not start kdeinit, check your installation"

then it says something like the session ended within 10 seconds and game me an option to show the error log. It contained:

kde-config: error while loading shared libraries libqt-mt.so.3
Cannot open shared object file. no such file or directory

at this point i tried to fix it myself but to no avail. I did a content search of packages on the website to find what package i needed. made sure using apt-get install that i had both this libqt3c102-mt, and this libqt3-mt-dev. I did not have the first one but i had the second one. Still doesnt work though.....

Ideas?

tim

#2 Post by tim »

Did you try apt-get install kde?
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Post by Guest »

yes, its already in

BeemanB

#4 Post by BeemanB »

I'm having a simillar problem, I'm running a PPC and the installation seemed to go fine, but when I boot up and log-in, all I get is a command line, I've tried Apt-Get install KDE, but it says dependencies could not be met, therefore it was not installed, any ideas?

lacek

#5 Post by lacek »

As for the "error loading shared libraries" error:
I had a similar problem, and I couldn't solve it but the 'dirty' way. I'll describe this dirty way, which works for me, but I don't think it's the only solution...
The solution is simple: the library is found if it is on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but it isn't when it's just in the ld cache. I edited my .xinitrc file and made this exported, but this just won't work with graphical login screens. You can try to edit /usr/bin/startkde, putting this line as the first command:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr
Be sure to leave at least the first row intact, or the script won't run.