Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Requesting features in the upcoming release of debian.

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
rupeshforu3

Requesting features in the upcoming release of debian.

#1 Post by rupeshforu3 »

sir previously I mean four months back I have used squeeze and wheezy testing(weekly build) and in both there was no support for my sound card so I have to download drivers from vendors site and compile it so I am requesting you to provide support for my sound card.

You have provided two packages for my graphics card and I have accidentally installed both finally the system was unbootable so I am requesting you to provide one package which is best suited for my graphics card.

Network detection was very poor on squeeze so I am requesting you to provide better hardware support for network devices like usb modem etc.,

I have visited debian packages list of wheezy testing and I have not found aptitude-gtk package so I am requesting you to provide the package. You can argue that we are already providing aptitude command line tool and my answer is gui version of aptitude will make debian users life happy especially me while installing packages. You can also argue that why can't you use synaptic and my answer is aptitude provides better dependency resolution than synaptic.

I think that this is not the place to make such requests even though I am doing the same because already I have already sent request mail to debian mailing lists and there is no response from them so I think atleast now these issues will be solved.

my hardware details:
AMD FX 4100 CPU
gigabyte 78lmt S2PT motherboard

Audio
Audio Codec Realtek HD
Audio Channels 7.1
Audio Features High Definition Audio

Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics (DirectX10).

Regards,
Rupesh.

Nsmurf

Re: Requesting features in the upcoming release of debian.

#2 Post by Nsmurf »

I think a lot of the stuff you want is "non-free", and thus debian *will not* have it in the default install. I'm not saying that's a good thing, it's just how debian works.

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

rupeshforu3 wrote:no support for my sound card so I have to download drivers from vendors site and compile it so I am requesting you to provide support for my sound card.
Contact your vendor and ask them to develop free and open source drivers. Then they will be included in debian naturally as a part of the linux kernel.

As you say this is not the proper place for such a request. Even if it was, Debian Wheezy is frozen. It will not see any new features. You will need to target the next testing release of Debian (Jessie).

Edit: What is wrong with the ncurses interface for aptitude?
Always on Debian Testing

rupeshforu3

#4 Post by rupeshforu3 »

Other linux distributions like like Fedora19,OpenSuse 12.2 are providing support for my sound card and I am able to play music files without any installation of drivers by me. Realtek has developed sourcecode for alsa and it is available for free download so as you said please integrate the driver into debians future release.

If we want to run gui version of aptitude we must compulsarily install aptitude-gtk otherwise we will get errors if you want please test it and if you succeed please suggest what you have done. Right now I am not running debian and I want to install wheezy stable when it is released.

vbrummond

#5 Post by vbrummond »

rupeshforu3 wrote:available for free download
I said open source not free download. Skype is a free download.
so as you said please integrate the driver into debians future release.
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/firmware-realtek
http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
Always on Debian Testing

Randicus

#6 Post by Randicus »

rupeshforu3 wrote:If we want to run gui version of aptitude we must compulsarily install aptitude-gtk otherwise we will get errors ...
According to this thread, http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=90691,
There is no aptitude-gtk package for wheezy
So if you want a GUI it is Synaptic. Otherwise, use the easy apt-get install (or aptitude install) command in a pretty terminal.
rupeshforu3 wrote:Other linux distributions like like Fedora19,OpenSuse 12.2 are providing support for my sound card and I am able to play music files without any installation of drivers by me.
To be honest Rupesh, if you do not want to install anything, but rather want everything you need pre-packaged with the system, systems like Ubuntu, Mint, PCLinux(?), Salix, Saline and Solus would be better for you. No insult intended, but systems like Debian demand more from the user than you seem willing to accept. And that will not change.

rupeshforu3

#7 Post by rupeshforu3 »

I don't want to insult you. Ok I don't want sound card support atleast can you provide gui version of aptitude and can you discuss about graphics card issue. Actually alsa source code is available from Realtek website then I can't understand what you are asking.

vbrummond

#8 Post by vbrummond »

I might have a solution for you if the problem is firmware. These images include firmware by default. http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... -firmware/
Always on Debian Testing

rupeshforu3

#9 Post by rupeshforu3 »

If the developers try to create a tool like aptitude-gtk they can then why debian developers are not developing such tool to make users life happy.

Randicus

#10 Post by Randicus »

rupeshforu3 wrote:atleast can you provide gui version of aptitude
1) No. We cannot provide anything. We are not Debian developers.
2) Debian already has a GUI - Synaptic. There is no need for another.
and can you discuss about graphics card issue.
That issue is one that makes Debian unsuitable for some people. The Debian philosophy of not including software with any copyright restrictions, means some hardware needs "special" software not included in the release. That will not change.
rupeshforu3 wrote:If the developers try to create a tool like aptitude-gtk they can then why debian developers are not developing such tool to make users life happy.
Because Debian users are already happy with apt-get and Synaptic.

rupeshforu3

#11 Post by rupeshforu3 »

GUI version of aptitude ie., aptitude-gtk is available by compiling source code of aptitude with option --enable-gtk

llivv

#12 Post by llivv »

please add (SOLVED) to the title of your OP
thanks
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

edbarx

#13 Post by edbarx »

My advice is to use the debian website to search for the available packages, apt-cache policy to query what is installed and apt-get install or apt-get remove to install and remove packages.

This should be easy for anyone who wants to make a little effort.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.