Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

icedove enhancement

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
adriatik

icedove enhancement

#1 Post by adriatik »

Have just loaded icedove into raspberian/debian.
It's working OK but needs enhancement!

My broadband provider is talktalk but they won't accept outgoing mail (smtp) unless on their phone line which is a problem when away from home!
So I use EE for smtp which is accepted both on my home network and when away when I connect through a Virgin SIM (aka T-Mobile).
This is easy to set up on my Sony mobile which allows for totally different connections for incoming and outgoing servers for the same mail account which is great as my mail appears to come from talktalk (with reply to my talktalk account) even though it is routed through EE as the outgoing smtp server (with a different mail address and password).
However icedove doesn't allow me to split servers in this way for the same mail account and I am forced to set up a separate account just to send mail out. As I have 3 mail accounts on talktalk I have to remember which mail account I am sending from and copy text over into a new email just to send stuff out!

Can the icedove developers add different mail addresses and passwords for the outgoing server which are totally independent from those used for the incoming server for the same mail account. This outgoing server will be common to several mail accounts.

I am willing to make a donation (£10+) for this fix to be added!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in - I will re-post if asked.

Tim

confuseling

Re: icedove enhancement

#2 Post by confuseling »

First question: which version of Icedove? Are you sure this hasn't been addressed in a more recent version? Version 17 is in Experimental, and you may find a newer version in backports, or be able to backport it yourself.

Debian development is in significant part packaging things and patching them to work in Debian. Icedove, for example, is Thunderbird with patches, mostly I think to conform with DFSG.

(Debian also develops its own software, e.g. Apt, but that's by the by).

Even if this were something Debian would be likely to fix, the forums are a bad choice for talking to the developers - you'd want the Debian bug tracker, the mailing lists or perhaps IRC.

In this case, sorry to say, you may be out of luck. Thunderbird is no longer actively developed, so unless Icedove forks in order to start adding new features, you should be talking to Mozilla, who will probably tell you 'patches welcome'...

Unless someone with more knowledge of this chimes in, I'd say reading through the archives of the Debian Mozilla Maintainers would be your best bet to find out whether forking is likely to happen. I haven't read much of it, but at a guess there simply aren't enough developers available to do so.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/ ... aintainers
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

As per confuseling's post, to add features to icedove you would need to petition the thunderbird developers.

This is not necessary, however, as thunderbird/icedove has always supported separate SMTP servers and any one of your listed ones can be specified for each account (for exactly your use case).

Open the 'Account Settings' dialog.
At the bottom of the list of accounts is the list of 'Outgoing Servers' each with it's own username/password/encryption settings.

Then on each Mail Account definition (click the name of the account in the list), on the first tab you can set the Outgoing server to be used.
You can even change this as necessary when moving between networks.

The Outgoing server credentials are only used for the SMTP envelope, the From address shown in the mail body is taken from the Account definition.

Note: Some servers policies will refuse to relay mail with a "foreign" From address in the body, even if authenticated with a valid and correct MAIL FROM in the SMTP envelope. No client settings will overcome this server-side restriction.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

adriatik

#4 Post by adriatik »

My apologies for all the confusion - but I have found out how to do it!

Having set-up the EE outgoing smtp account as a standalone account I was then able to select it in the outgoing server dialogue for the 3 talktalk (pop3) accounts - and it appears to be working OK. I need to double check via a tethered Wi-Fi link with my Virgin mobile rather than using my home broadband but I am fairly confident this will work OK.

I still think the way Sony do it (by setting up an EE email and password as the outgoing smtp server for the 3 talktalk accounts) is more obvious but hey it works fine and that is the main point.

Many thanks for your contributions guys and I got back to the forum just as soon as I could having got it to work.

Perhaps I should try reading the manual before posting in haste! :oops:

Tim

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

adriatik wrote:Perhaps I should try reading the manual before posting in haste! :oops:
Bless you for learning this in just one try. :cool: