Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need help understanding upgrading process for packages.

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
mitsos

Need help understanding upgrading process for packages.

#1 Post by mitsos »

Be gentle, it's my first post,
Spotted several packages that have newer version in unstable but they are stuck and not migrating to testing, even though the upgrades fix RC bugs. Their package tracking page says (for example):
testing migration
excuses:

235 days old (needed 10 days)
Not touching package due to block request by freeze (contact debian-release if update is needed)
Updating ball fixes old bugs: #674226
Not considered

It says right there to contact debian-release, but looking at some of the unblock requests it appears that only package maintainers can submit unblock requests.
So what's the proper procedure for allowing the forgotten and stuck packages to work their way through the upgrade process?

Thank you

vbrummond

Re: Need help understanding upgrading process for packages.

#2 Post by vbrummond »

mitsos wrote:Be gentle, it's my first post,
Welcome to the board! :)
So what's the proper procedure for allowing the forgotten and stuck packages to work their way through the upgrade process?
At this point it is probably not possible. If you have evidence of a real reason to migrate the package this late in the cycle, I would file a bug or contact the maintainer of the package and ask their advice.

If you only need the packages for personal use, just backport them yourself. Most packages just need to be rebuilt.
Always on Debian Testing

mitsos

#3 Post by mitsos »

Thanks for the reply. I was just asking to see if there is anything I can do to help fix the RC bugs remaining, not a personal need for those packages. I'll have a look into contacting the maintainers and bringing it to their attention then.

PeterB

#4 Post by PeterB »

The package already has an 'unblock' request
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=685209

but still seems to be stuck. (Requested Aug 2012)