Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why is 3.2 still the latest kernel in unstable??

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
thibaut

Re: Why is 3.2 still the latest kernel in unstable??

#21 Post by thibaut »

Hi,

For the record, at the time of this thread, 3.8 was in experimental and worked like a charm on Wheezy. It's now in unstable and presumably works at least as well. Chances are it will be backported soon.

Regards, Thibaut.

mfelker

#22 Post by mfelker »

If you would like to try kernel 3.8 (which works great!) just change your sources.list to sid instead of unstable. Then install synaptic (that what I do anyway) and searh for "3.8" <no quotes of course>. You will find the headers and image for linux 3.8. Install and enjoy.

Why Debian defaults is kernel 3.2 (even in sid) is because "It's Debian" and therefore ultra-conservatitve.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

unstable==sid
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

dasein

#24 Post by dasein »

mfelker wrote:If you would like to try kernel 3.8 (which works great!) just change your sources.list to sid instead of unstable. Then install synaptic (that what I do anyway) and searh for "3.8" <no quotes of course>. You will find the headers and image for linux 3.8. Install and enjoy.

Why Debian defaults is kernel 3.2 (even in sid) is because "It's Debian" and therefore ultra-conservatitve.
Wow. So much misinformation in one post...

As d_l_n has already pointed out, sid==unstable, and its current kernel is 3.8

And seemingly "stale" software in sid has absolutely nothing to do with "conservatism."

Posts that misinform don't actually contribute to the forum.

bwat47

#25 Post by bwat47 »

When will 3.8 be available in wheezy backports? Wheezy is currently unusable on ivybridge graphics because of constant random freezes due to its ancient kernel.

andrewrogers

#26 Post by andrewrogers »

bwat47 wrote:When will 3.8 be available in wheezy backports? Wheezy is currently unusable on ivybridge graphics because of constant random freezes due to its ancient kernel.
agreed. That's why I compiled 3.9
#BOXES
Ivy Bridge 3570K + 32GB of RAM (INTEL 4000)
Core 2 Extreme (X9100!) Latitude E6400 + 8GB of RAM (Quadro NVS 160M)
Northwood P4 Latitude + 1.25GB of RAM (Radeon 7500)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz!) + 1GB of RAM (Radeon 9200)
TiBook G4 + 1GB of RAM (Rad 9200)

Bulkley

#27 Post by Bulkley »

Why not get a Liquorix kernel? Easy to install and easy to remove if you don't like it. Liquorix is up to 3.8.13.

bwat47

#28 Post by bwat47 »

Bulkley wrote:Why not get a Liquorix kernel? Easy to install and easy to remove if you don't like it. Liquorix is up to 3.8.13.
I tried that, but after installing I got a bunch of missing firmware errors about realtek (and I did have firmware realtek insalled)
andrewrogers wrote:
bwat47 wrote:When will 3.8 be available in wheezy backports? Wheezy is currently unusable on ivybridge graphics because of constant random freezes due to its ancient kernel.
agreed. That's why I compiled 3.9
I'm trying to stay away from 3.9 because of an annoying regression :( https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... 3frXHFh_GM

andrewrogers

#29 Post by andrewrogers »

agreed. That's why I compiled 3.9[/quote]
I'm trying to stay away from 3.9 because of an annoying regression :( https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... 3frXHFh_GM[/quote]

I use USB speakers on my Ivy Bridge, so I haven't noticed any problems.
#BOXES
Ivy Bridge 3570K + 32GB of RAM (INTEL 4000)
Core 2 Extreme (X9100!) Latitude E6400 + 8GB of RAM (Quadro NVS 160M)
Northwood P4 Latitude + 1.25GB of RAM (Radeon 7500)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz!) + 1GB of RAM (Radeon 9200)
TiBook G4 + 1GB of RAM (Rad 9200)

christoff522

#30 Post by christoff522 »

mfelker wrote:If you would like to try kernel 3.8 (which works great!) just change your sources.list to sid instead of unstable. Then install synaptic (that what I do anyway) and searh for "3.8" <no quotes of course>. You will find the headers and image for linux 3.8. Install and enjoy.

Yes, unstable is sid, you can use either name in your sources.list

Debian defaulted to kernel 3.2 was because it had been thoroughly tested - on experimental, on sid, on testing, and made its way to stable, where it was then frozen. 3,2 made its way into wheezy becasuse that is what reached it by the time it was frozen, not because of ultra conservatism. had 3.8 been in testing at the point of the freeze, 3,8 would have been the kernel in wheezy.

programs, and features are in wheezy:
1.because they've been thoroughly tested in sid and testing.
2.because the bugs have been ironed out to a point where they can be considered 'stable'.

this doesn't however mean that sid is in any way 'buggy', I sit here typing from sid.