Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I want backports from the unstable

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.

Do you want backports from "unstable"?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 9

porton

I want backports from the unstable

#1 Post by porton »

I want new backports from the "unstable" branch, just like now we have backports from "testing".

Wheezy is now already too old for some software.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: I want backports from the unstable

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

porton wrote:I want new backports from the "unstable" branch, just like now we have backports from "testing".

Wheezy is now already too old for some software.
Testing and unstable are about 2 weeks apart. Will that extra 2 weeks really make a huge difference in your life? :roll:

vbrummond

#4 Post by vbrummond »

Yes, this working and security supported piece of software is too old. I want something untested because it might have new features I will never use.

Anyway, it is not that hard to backport a Debian package. Try your own hand at it. http://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
Always on Debian Testing

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Ummm, some are really simple to backport to Squeeze, such as Deluge, some are a ginormous pain in the patootie (wxwidgets2.8), especially when there's multiarchness to undo.

Just a warning...
MX Linux packager and developer

emariz

#6 Post by emariz »

And I want the Big King to be available once again in Northern Europe!

confuseling

#7 Post by confuseling »

Not an awful lot you can say about this, except that in Debian decisions are made democratically between members, and the developers work voluntarily.

So you could become a member (by maintaining some software, or something), and then propose such a thing (prepare to be shouted at - there aren't enough developers for the workload as is).

Or you could go and use another distro with more up to date software.

Or you could keep using Debian, and we'll agree never to speak of this incident again.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

Randicus

#8 Post by Randicus »

confuseling wrote:Or you could keep using Debian, and we'll agree never to speak of this incident again.
Perhaps that could be added to the poll as a third choice.

kedaha

#9 Post by kedaha »

porton wrote:I want new backports from the "unstable" branch, just like now we have backports from "testing".
I've abstained from voting in the poll because I think the question posed - of having official backports from the "unstable" branch - is misconceived: It is a transitory repository.
Because testing is currently frozen prior to the release of wheezy, testing hasn't been receiving packages from unstable for some time. But it will once unfrozen testing for "jessie" gets of the ground.
If you rely on Debian's official backport service, then packages may not become available for quite some time -if at all - so as vbrummond has commented:
vbrummond wrote:Anyway, it is not that hard to backport a Debian package. Try your own hand at it. http://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

+1 And if you have any issues, please post, but it would be interesting to know what shiny new software (or SNS :wink: ) you'd like to backport.
porton wrote:Wheezy is now already too old for some software.
Wheezy, when released as stable is never too old to run the software if it can be backported or run some other way, for instance, in a chroot or virtualbox.
While packages can be backported from unstable - and this may seem necessary specially since testing has been frozen for some time - they're nearly always backported from testing.
Finally, I'd just like to add that I always run stable myself - as recommended - as my main system and obtain several newer packages as detailed in wiki.debian.org/DebianSoftware.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Randicus

#10 Post by Randicus »

kedaha wrote:I've abstained from voting in the poll
You appear to be a member of the overwhelming majority. 8)