Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Understanding kernel upgrades

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
alleyoopster

Understanding kernel upgrades

#1 Post by alleyoopster »

After upgrading yesterday I was struck by http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=712999 and was unable to boot getting
Unable to find LVM volume
when using linux-image-3.9-1-amd64.

I just wanted to understand how this got through sid without a problem. As I understand it packages with critical release bugs would not get into testing. Does this differ for kernels or was it the fact that the bug severity was dropped to Serious allowing it through? Doesn't seem right that something that breaks the system should be left to go through to testing. For the moment I have removed the meta package to prevent kernel upgrades and running on the old 3.2 kernel.

aptitude versions linux-image-3

Code: Select all

Package linux-image-3.10-rc5-amd64:           
p   3.10~rc5-1~exp1                                                 experimental                                1   

Package linux-image-3.10-rc5-amd64-dbg:
p   3.10~rc5-1~exp1                                                 experimental                                1   

Package linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64:
p   3.2.15-1                                                                                                    100 

Package linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64:
i A 3.2.46-1                                                                                                    100 

Package linux-image-3.9-1-amd64:                                                                                    
p   3.9.6-1                                                         testing,unstable                            990 

Package linux-image-3.9-1-amd64-dbg:                                                                                
p   3.9.6-1

cynwulf

Re: Understanding kernel upgrades

#2 Post by cynwulf »

Well was the bug reported before or after it migrated to testing?

mor

#3 Post by mor »

Bug filed:
Reported by: Alexandru Balaban

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 18:21:01 UTC
source:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=712999
Package was migrated to testing (the announcement at least):
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:39:11 +0000
source:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linux/n ... 3911Z.html

emariz

#4 Post by emariz »

alleyoopster wrote:For the moment I have removed the meta package to prevent kernel upgrades and running on the old 3.2 kernel.
Or you could simply not boot into the newer kernel until the bug is fixed, or hold the upgrade for a couple of days and check the bug reports, or do not upgrade the kernel until you have enough time to play with your system (say, a weekend), etcetera. Any of these approaches is better than simply ignoring newer versions of a package.
Also, because a newer versions of the kernel do not conflict with the older ones, one can have as many kernels installed as one wants.

Yes, it is sad that such an important bug went unnoticed in Unstable, but then again, the work is done by volunteers, and you and I were not there to test the kernel and report bugs in Unstable.

alleyoopster

#5 Post by alleyoopster »

I really appreciate those out on the front line protecting us from Sid and his army, while some of us mostly sit in the cosy testing armchair. I was just surprised to see such a big bug slip through the defense.

Will wait till the next upgrade and re add the meta package. For some reason booting into the old kernel caused problems with suspend not suspending when the new kernel was still installed. Thanks for the info / feedback.