Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian and GNU - LibrePlanet conference video

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
saulgoode

Debian and GNU - LibrePlanet conference video

#1 Post by saulgoode »

Former Debian Project Leader Stefano Zacchiroli gave a presentation at this year's LibrePlanet conference on the relationship between Debian and the GNU Project.

http://media.libreplanet.org/mgoblin_me ... -640p.webm

The presentation is just over an hour long, with the first twenty minutes providing a good overview of the history and structure of the project. After that, he goes into the project's relationship with GNU, upstream projects, and the many derivative distros.

One of the poignant points he made was on the importance of listening to criticisms of people outside the project rather than relying solely on the project itself to find and correct its flaws. He gave several examples of how doing this has proved beneficial for the project as a whole.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Debian and GNU - LibrePlanet conference video

#2 Post by oswaldkelso »

Thanks for reminding me. I saw half of it the other day, you jogged my memory to watch the rest. Very good video.

Would recommend all Debian users watch it especially newbies and folks coming from other distros. Though I feel he talks up the closeness a bit I like the way he always looks for solutions and ways to build bridges. Great DPL. I'd love the differences to be sorted out and Debian to be on the GNU list of recommended distros. I suspect in the end it will be outside pressure from things like prism and obfuscated code on peoples privacy that will push it one way or another.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian