Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wheezy is littered with bugs

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
jlambrecht

Wheezy is littered with bugs

#1 Post by jlambrecht »

I've bitten my tongue for quite a while.

I was under the impression one of Wheezy's goals was packages that just work. I understand the package pool has gotten really big since the times of Bo and Woody.

Maybe it's just my choice of packages but it is my impression there is an increase in uninstallabe, otherwise broken or crippled packages.

Most recent find is nulog , before that i remember wx-widgets where there's the opengl component missing from media. This is fixed in Ubuntu but in Debian it was promised to be fixed in 2008. The only reason being policy i kind of hoped there would be a repo available with an exception package for this to get working. Now i have to either import Ubuntu packages or compile from source.
Embrace what you're not certain off,
keep an eye on what you're confident about.

mor

Re: Wheezy is littered with bugs

#2 Post by mor »

It is funny, I just replied to a user asking about stable's stability.
I think my post there may as well answer your post here, at least in a broad sense.

Of course I can say nothing about nulog in particular (but I feel you didn't intend this thread to be about nulog) that can help you, but if your reproach is about whether it is acceptable or not that even in the mighty stable debian stable there are problems, I think you have your answer.

Perfect you can't have.

jlambrecht

#3 Post by jlambrecht »

Perfect is not what i'm asking for. The install readyness was the one of the release-goals for Wheezy. One should expect this to be at least a requirement for a package to be accepted into stable. My real beef is these package actually are stuck on a bug, not on something exotic like a dependency issue occurring once every 10.000 users or so.

After reading your specific comment ...

Please, don't post such generalizing crap like that as a systemic reasoning. It makes a bad example.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

jlambrecht wrote:
Please, don't post such generalizing crap like that as a systemic reasoning. It makes a bad example.
http://www.cracked.com/funny-1085-irony/
Last edited by bw123 on 2013-10-04 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

I have Wheezy on two machines, one old, one more recent. It is absolutely stable on both machines.

jlambrecht

#6 Post by jlambrecht »

bw123 wrote:
jlambrecht wrote:
http://www.cracked.com/funny-1085-irony/

Thanks for that ;-)

jlambrecht

#7 Post by jlambrecht »

Bulkley wrote:I have Wheezy on two machines, one old, one more recent. It is absolutely stable on both machines.
I'm not saying it is unstable ( besides epiphany-browser segfaulting ) i'm saying some packages are 'damaged'

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Most recent find is nulog , before that i remember wx-widgets where there's the opengl component missing from media. This is fixed in Ubuntu but in Debian it was promised to be fixed in 2008. The only reason being policy i kind of hoped there would be a repo available with an exception package for this to get working
The media components are indeed not built in Debian wxwidgets-gtk packages, because doing so would violate Debian packaging policy, in that they would create a dependency on GNOME gconf plus its dependencies. This on any desktop, even those without any trace of GNOME otherwise. They've tried to get this fixed upstream, but nothing has come of it. Not everything reported as a bug is really a bug. If you do want Wheezy-compatible wxwidgets2.8 packages with the media components, they are in the MEPIS community repository (the mcr120 packages), because I personally don't care whether I have gconf or not. I'm not going to complain about the Debian decision, though.

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... idgets2.8/
MX Linux packager and developer

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

stevepusser wrote:Not everything reported as a bug is really a bug.
Oh, nicely done. :cool:

jlambrecht

#10 Post by jlambrecht »

stevepusser wrote:
Most recent find is nulog , before that i remember wx-widgets where there's the opengl component missing from media. This is fixed in Ubuntu but in Debian it was promised to be fixed in 2008. The only reason being policy i kind of hoped there would be a repo available with an exception package for this to get working
The media components are indeed not built in Debian wxwidgets-gtk packages, because doing so would violate Debian packaging policy, in that they would create a dependency on GNOME gconf plus its dependencies. This on any desktop, even those without any trace of GNOME otherwise. They've tried to get this fixed upstream, but nothing has come of it. Not everything reported as a bug is really a bug. If you do want Wheezy-compatible wxwidgets2.8 packages with the media components, they are in the MEPIS community repository (the mcr120 packages), because I personally don't care whether I have gconf or not. I'm not going to complain about the Debian decision, though.

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... idgets2.8/
Honestly, i am complaining, realising this will not change the world or Debian in particular. The complaining might be driven by cultural conditioning ... I cannot grasp there was no release of a wx....-gconf package to at least give one the option of choice. I've found the packages in Ubuntu as well. *sigh* for the one time i'm attempting to have an ALL pure Debian system, i cannot.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

The Ubuntu packages are built on the Ubuntu versions of the base system libraries; the MEPIS mcr120 versions are built on the Debian Wheezy base libraries, making them Debian compatible. Or you can build your own backport debs from the Debianized source packages in the MEPIS repo, or Ubuntu's. It just takes a bit of time and some CPU cycles.
MX Linux packager and developer

jlambrecht

#12 Post by jlambrecht »

Yeah, well, sorry for the bi*in. I guess i've done just that one time too many over the past twenty years or so.

Though i'll take your advice as something to work with ;-)