Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

O Iceape, where art thou?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.

mor

Re: O Iceape, where art thou?

#22 Post by mor »

Are you a brother Iceaper/Seamonkeyer too?

Yesterday I wasn't gonna do it at first, that "aptitude purge iceape" was really impossible to type.
I guess I wanted to have closure by holding onto it for a few more days, but then I decided to pull the tooth and there, no more Iceape, back to Seamonkey, like before Lenny (or around that time I think).

Well, it was a nice ride, I will miss that icy gorilla in my dash, now I have to readjust my eyes to the Seamonkey logo (that I never even liked from the very beginning when it was chosen).

Who knows, maybe one day we will see it again. :?

curtaintwitcher

#23 Post by curtaintwitcher »

I used to be a seamonkey user, but switched back to firefox for reasons I can't recall.

You can install seamonkey in /opt from the binaries, or Debianise the source, and build your own package. Of course this means rebuilding every time there's an update.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#24 Post by oswaldkelso »

Well I've removed iceape :cry: and installed seamonkey . I didn't purge just removed and everything on the outside seems the same. Bookmarks all there and even chatzilla works as before with all my channels and settings working just fine.

I'm not sure if I'll stay with seamonkey in it's base form or at all. I always liked it when the browser and composer were separate packages as in squeeze. I may try and build it from source as I never really use the mail-news or address components. I use claws and abook for that. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

I am a little worried about the lack of security patches. Having Debian at your back was very reasuring. I guess I don't trust mozilla as much as I trust Debian.

While I'm very happy with chatzilla I avoid iceweasel/firefox the interface sucks in comparison to iceape no matter how I configure it. I've already started to experiment for a life without iceape on my wheezy machine using dwb as my browser and loqui for irc maybe it's time for me to move on but it's hard All the other browsers have issues for me where as iceape was a sanctuary of sanity. Sad sad day
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

mor

#25 Post by mor »

curtaintwitcher wrote:I used to be a seamonkey user, but switched back to firefox for reasons I can't recall.

You can install seamonkey in /opt from the binaries, or Debianise the source, and build your own package. Of course this means rebuilding every time there's an update.
Thanks, I did see the links in your previous post, and I had already made the switch back to Seamonkey.
I know well how to set and configure SM from the Seamonkey Project site. I used it (and all that it was before) for all my internet life (from the mid 90's) and even when Ice* products were created by debian, I kept using Seamonkey for some time. Only after it was reintroduced in Lenny I dropped Seamonkey for Iceape.
Until yesterday. :shock:
oswaldkelso wrote:Well I've removed iceape :cry: and installed seamonkey . I didn't purge just removed and everything on the outside seems the same. Bookmarks all there and even chatzilla works as before with all my channels and settings working just fine.
Purging doesn't affect the user's profile (with the bookmarks, extensions, mail or whatever), which is in ~/home/user/.mozilla/seamonkey/profile name.
You can safely purge Iceape, although it is not like you have to.
oswaldkelso wrote:I'm not sure if I'll stay with seamonkey in it's base form or at all. I always liked it when the browser and composer were separate packages as in squeeze. I may try and build it from source as I never really use the mail-news or address components. I use claws and abook for that. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.
It probably isn't.
At least it was never worth for me: I never needed Composer and still never bothered to get rid of it. :D
oswaldkelso wrote:I am a little worried about the lack of security patches. Having Debian at your back was very reasuring. I guess I don't trust mozilla as much as I trust Debian.
Oh boy, do you have any idea about when was the last update for Iceape?
This is not a matter of trusting or not Mozilla over debian, if we were talking about Iceweasel/Firefox I could even understand. But Iceape is basically dead since last February (read my earlier posts) and even before then, it was never updated in a timely fashion in regard to security updates or otherwise. ;)

You will get all the patches just by keeping Seamonkey updated directly through the built-in update/upgrade feature.

And anyway, I don't think that unless you have very specific and sound reasons (i.e. not just "a feeling") not to trust Mozilla's packages as much as you trust debian, I think you can feel fairly safe in using Seamonkey.

Would it help to know that Seamonkey is developed by a sort of subsidiary of Mozilla, from an independent team that operates under the umbrella of Mozilla.org (the non-profit organization) and not Mozilla.com (the Firefox enterprise)?
oswaldkelso wrote:While I'm very happy with chatzilla I avoid iceweasel/firefox the interface sucks in comparison to iceape no matter how I configure it. I've already started to experiment for a life without iceape on my wheezy machine using dwb as my browser and loqui for irc maybe it's time for me to move on but it's hard All the other browsers have issues for me where as iceape was a sanctuary of sanity. Sad sad day
If you found yourself comfortable with Iceape so far, I think you you should really reconsider your concerns about Mozilla's Seamonkey. ;)

Bye

mrkapqa

#26 Post by mrkapqa »

hello , i'm new here to this forum.

i also like iceape because it is really fast and kinda switched after i heard richard stallman talking about flash (about how it it "rings home" every time i watch content).
felt really at ease, and i still do.

using iceape 2.7.11 installed via a package archive
http://pkgs.org/debian-squeeze/mozilla- ... 4.deb.html

but it is also available (the 2.0.x) version via squeeze or backports i guess.

only thing that annoys me is that there is no autoplay on youtube which i really like and also if you install GNASH which should be a shockwave-flash alternative you are not able to play streamed movies 8which probably is not so bad either :)

so as long as i can do i will hang on to ICEAPE hopefully that someone is gonna revive it.

yours,
rich
:)

gradinaruvasile

#27 Post by gradinaruvasile »

mrkapqa wrote:hello , i'm new here to this forum.

i also like iceape because it is really fast and kinda switched after i heard richard stallman talking about flash (about how it it "rings home" every time i watch content).
felt really at ease, and i still do.

using iceape 2.7.11 installed via a package archive
http://pkgs.org/debian-squeeze/mozilla- ... 4.deb.html

but it is also available (the 2.0.x) version via squeeze or backports i guess.

only thing that annoys me is that there is no autoplay on youtube which i really like and also if you install GNASH which should be a shockwave-flash alternative you are not able to play streamed movies 8which probably is not so bad either :)

so as long as i can do i will hang on to ICEAPE hopefully that someone is gonna revive it.

yours,
rich
:)
That 2.7.11 is old. Nowadays browsers get updated very often and many times these updates contain security-related bugfixes. Keeping an old version of a program that might come in contact with malicious content every day might not be a good idea.

IMHO there is no point in clinging to .deb packages in this case, as the seamonkey site has perfectly functioning 32 and 64 bit Linux builds ( i use them for a long time). The 32 bit version even auto updates if you have it in a user-writable location (or at least reports if new updates are available if the user cannot write there).

pcalvert

#28 Post by pcalvert »

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

hjheins

#29 Post by hjheins »

Hi All,

somewhat late in this thread (I hope not too late).
I did a build of Seamonkey on Wheezy.
I saw the Mepis solution, but that is a static binary which is dumped in a deb file.
This version is actually built on and for Debian Wheezy.
Due to the fact that the underlying libraries are a bit of a moving target, and to limit the amount of dependencies, I made a build including xul, nspr, nss, libjpeg, sqlite3. (the Wheezy versions are too old).

You can check out the version here:
http://hjh.syssap.nl/Debian/Wheezy/amd64
http://hjh.syssap.nl/Debian/Wheezy/i386

or as apt location:
deb http://hjh.syssap.nl/Debian/Wheezy ./
deb-src http://hjh.syssap.nl/Debian/Wheezy ./

Hendrik-Jan

mrkapqa

#30 Post by mrkapqa »

Hello Hendrik-Jan,

thank you very much, Seamonkey is great , too.

Unfortunately it is not available for Powerpc ; i always relied on Iceape , but now it is no more downladable via Debian.

mrkapqa

#31 Post by mrkapqa »

Seamonkey for Amd64/i386 is also available on Sourceforge

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu ... lla-build/