Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome 3.8 on desktop howto use it ? Seriusly ! How ?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
uBaLd

Gnome 3.8 on desktop howto use it ? Seriusly ! How ?

#1 Post by uBaLd »

Ok I have been using gnome3 since it came ought and I have came to like it but now with the new gnome 3.8 it is almost impossible. I'm completely lost I feel stupid and frustrated. So hear I have some question for those who can answer me.

Just so you understand me better I'm not doing this to bash gnome3 but to understand how can I do easy stuff I could do before gnome 3.8 came on my computer.

So lets start :

1- How do I open a cdrom with nautilus ?
the shortcut on the side that only appear when F9 is press dos nothing !!!

2- How to open it with the new Rhythmbox 3.0.1 ??
Nothing appear !!

3- How do I have more then 6 columns of huge icons in the shell on my 27'' monitor and pleas I want it smaller !

4- how can I open more then one Nautilus with shortcut ??
I use to use Ctrl+Alt+n to open Nautilus it still work but only one time now if I do it 2 time the second time it dose nothing !
I get the error: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

5- How can I change background picture with custom image in the gnome-shell ??
Drag and drop dos not work and adding picture option is absent !!

There will come more question I'm sure.

I'm stubborn and want to use gnome 3.8 on a desktop but if gnome team as decided not to support desktop any more. There will comm a day where I'm going to be forced to change to an other desktop type.

So pleas if you are using gnome 3.8 on desktop explain to me how you do thing ! Thanks in advance.
Last edited by uBaLd on 2013-11-24 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3
Workstation / 2 Xeon E5-2620 / 32GB RAM

uBaLd

Re: Gnome 3.8 on desktop howto use it ? Seriusly ! How ?

#2 Post by uBaLd »

3- How do I have more then 6 columns of huge icons in the shell on my 27'' monitor and pleas I want it smaller !
Hear only a small part of the solution if you dont want only 6 column of huge icon on your screen you can change MAX_COLUMNS

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/appDisplay.js
set:

Code: Select all

const MAX_COLUMNS = 10;
Great now I have 10 column of huge icon And now my question is how do I shrink it down ?? They are 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch I'd prefer them smaller !
1- How do I open a cdrom with nautilus ?
the shortcut on the side that only appear when F9 is press dos nothing !!!
2- How to open it with the new Rhythmbox 3.0.1 ??
Nothing appear !!
Apparently it is for one specific cd !! Don't know why in the car it work perfectly !!

Thanks for your hint.
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3

uBaLd

#3 Post by uBaLd »

5- How can I change background picture with custom image in the gnome-shell ??
Drag and drop dos not work and adding picture option is absent !!
The only way I found from an other post is wright click define as wall paper ! But the background utility is completely useless unless you want the few wall paper option there ! Adding picture to the $HOME/Image folder dos nothing maybe it is a bug related with French language.

I'm telling you gnome 3.8 on Jessie is not the best desktop I have seen so far. I hope those bug will be fix and that this will improve for desktop. Not only for tablet !
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3

Birdy

#4 Post by Birdy »

Great now I have 10 column of huge icon And now my question is how do I shrink it down ?? They are 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch I'd prefer them smaller !
I think you want to edit: /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css.
You will have to search the web for the exact method, i gave up trying to make any settings in gnome3 (i will probably completely remove it soon, but first have a look at cinnamon).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GN ... _icon_size
I'm telling you gnome 3.8 on Jessie is not the best desktop I have seen so far.
I hear you. The last 42 users seem to like it a lot though.

cjmannino

#5 Post by cjmannino »

I been using Jessie for a few weeks now. As far as wallpaper is concerned, in gnome 3.10, any pictures you have in your folder will show up, you can't add folders like in gnome 3.4. I like to see Jessie get to gnome 3.10 soon !

uBaLd

#6 Post by uBaLd »

Thank you for the reply I'm trying to survive on Gnome 3.8 as it seam to be very slow compare to 3.6. And your comment are appreciated.
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3

cjmannino

#7 Post by cjmannino »

Truthfully I miss Stable version, with gnome 3.4. I normally not a person that needs the latests and greatest. My Hard-Drive failed, and was following testing version, upon new installation I decided to install testing. I don't regret it. I am a gnome fan, don't mind the new shell, etc. Debian testing, on my getting older system still works quick, and system is responsive (thinkstation S10).

uBaLd

#8 Post by uBaLd »

interesting cjmannino maybe I have something badly setup cause My shell lag often and my machine is not old at all ! Alsow recently I got trouble with reading cdrom. I'm a fan of gnome also but I dislike the fact that they are turning more and more there back to desktop without letting option to make it look normal on a 27 inch monitor !

Thanks for the comment.
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3

cjmannino

#10 Post by cjmannino »

I have to take some of it back. I did have the gnome shell lag as well, and problems reading cdrom.My system display did not wake up from sleep mode, although I work-around with pm-utils quirks. In the end, I decided to reinstall stable, and after using debian for years, one gets spoiled on rock solid stablity. I have little to no tolerance for even the mild glitches. Comparing what gnome 3.8 or 3.10 has, to gnome 3.4, I find them less usable. I see your points, and reinstalled stable. I think jessie looks promising, and excepted some glitches, my comfort is in stablity.