Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

etch iso img

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
tedux

etch iso img

#1 Post by tedux »

I finally got etch loaded on my laptop. I used the iso from last week 12/21. Had to use that no_prob for some dell pc. under F6.
I only had to use the first cd img. Installed just the standard base. I could not belive it, but after reboot and I started apt I was expecting a hole lot of downloading, But did not happen. I apt x-win-sys and only fetched 700 some Kb. Wanted me to insert the cd, then gdm, only fetched a few Kb, then gnome-desk-envir. which is a few hundred mb, only had to fetch 6.8 mb. I guess you guys compressed these files on the first cd img. worked out very well for me. no bandwidth usage. Thank you.

ran very slow at first but I remembered, while configuring x this deal about the graphic card using the kernel and I selected yes. dpkg reconfigure xserver and selected no. told it to use the sis driver instead of vese, and its running like a,,, well good.

touch pad has no tapping. (so cool) but wont slide the mouse very good, just takes a long time to get pointer from one side to other. I can see during boot it detects the alps touch pad, maybe that synaptic driver thing may work this time.

the alsa mixer is muted after every boot, can't seem to find a way to start on boot. I can play a cd or dvd movie, mp3. But I can't get a sound notification for new mail to work with icedove. I'm lacking something but not sure what.

still need to learn compiling. don't have the nerve to try and get the madwifi working. Don't want to hose this install.
Linux Hobbyist (End-User) Insprion 1000, 2.2celron, 512mb, SiS chipset, Debian GNU/Linux (Testing)

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: etch iso img

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

tedux wrote: the alsa mixer is muted after every boot, can't seem to find a way to start on boot.
Set your mixer then store the settings:

Code: Select all

alsasctl store
tedux wrote:I can play a cd or dvd movie, mp3. But I can't get a sound notification for new mail to work with icedove.
Icedove>Preferences>General>When new messages arrive>Play a sound.

I just use the pc speaker beep but you can provide a custon .wav file too. Did you try the Advanced button in the same dialog? You can preview the sound from there.

You can't really break an installation simply by compiling something (well unless it were perhaps some malicious code).

Now I do not actually use the madwifi driver but the source is in Debian so it *should* be fairly simple to build.

apt-get install module-assistant madwifi-tools madwifi-doc
m-a a-i madwifi
That will build the driver. Of course you will need kernel headers for your running kernel. Configuration of the device is another matter entirely. :)

tedux

#3 Post by tedux »

mzilikazi wrote: Icedove>Preferences>General>When new messages arrive>Play a sound.

I just use the pc speaker beep but you can provide a custon .wav file too. Did you try the Advanced button in the same dialog? You can preview the sound from there.
yes I did thats how I know icedove is not accessing the sound server, or I don't have a defult apt to play wave files. I can click the .wav file and my movie player launches and plays it.
Linux Hobbyist (End-User) Insprion 1000, 2.2celron, 512mb, SiS chipset, Debian GNU/Linux (Testing)

thamarok

#4 Post by thamarok »

tedux wrote:
mzilikazi wrote: Icedove>Preferences>General>When new messages arrive>Play a sound.

yes I did thats how I know icedove is not accessing the sound server, or I don't have a defult apt to play wave files. I can click the .wav file and my movie player launches and plays it.
This means you have a soundcard not capable of hardware mixing.. well, there's a solution for this:

If you have ALSA installed, you can use its dmix plugin to have software mixing. Just place this text to /etc/asound.conf (or ~/.asoundrc) and configure your programs to use ALSA:

pcm.swmix {
 type dmix
 ipc_key 249
 slave {
  pcm "hw:0,0"
  period_time 0
  period_size 1024
  buffer_size 8192
  rate 44100
 }
}

pcm.dsp0 {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "swmix"
}

ctl.mixer0 {
 type hw
 card 0
}

pcm.!default {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "swmix"
}
For programs like Cedega, you need to define the PCM Device, which is swmix if you use the above snippet. If the above trick doesn't work for you and you get a Device (or resource) busy message on some programs trying to access your soundcard, just try changing the ipc_key in the above code to something higher or lower.

The above code also sets the options for OSS emulated through ALSA (aoss); so if one of your programs uses OSS and you don't know how to configure it to use ALSA, you can apt-get install aoss and then run the program by typing aoss programname.

Cheers

tedux

#5 Post by tedux »

thamarok I would but etch started freezing. I went back to stable. But listen to this, you guys should like this, I tried to put xp back on this dell laptop with the purple cd I got from them after a long fight a couple of years ago. It boots then after win starts the pc shuts down. tried a couple of times, samething. I got to the press f8 once then it shuts down. stuck the 3.1rc3 disk in boot right up and installed. funny thing. cd work in a old desktop. wonder why??

sarge does the sound thing to. If I check enable sound server startup thunderbird will play sounds xmms stops working, and I see this oss driver no alsa!