Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multiple questions (font rendering, GUI, file system)

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
pawelk

Multiple questions (font rendering, GUI, file system)

#1 Post by pawelk »

Hello

I have a few questions to you, first, what if i wanted to totally redevelop the font rendering system in Debian so it looks similiar to lets say OS X ? and so it works for whole system, like fonts in browser, in top menu bar etc.
I have no idea where to start so some tips would be nice.

Example;

2) is it possible to redevelop GUI so every program looks similiar (like its made on Mac) , i dont really like the look of ALL Linux distros, and i dont know if the reason is that this is so hard to develop?

3) is it possible to change the file/partition system in Linux somehow, so its much easier to handle for a beginner user? Like in OS X you dont have to create swap partitions etc, you just create partition, format it and install on it.

Thank you in advance

Issyer

Re: Multiple questions (font rendering, GUI, file system)

#2 Post by Issyer »

4) is it possible to to use Google on Debian like you do on Mac?

http://lifehacker.com/5665765/macbuntu- ... e-mac-os-x

pawelk

#3 Post by pawelk »

Issyer wrote:4) is it possible to to use Google on Debian like you do on Mac?

http://lifehacker.com/5665765/macbuntu- ... e-mac-os-x
It doesn't look like OS X at all, i guess you have never used it.

Issyer

#4 Post by Issyer »

Why do I need to use it? I haven't used many things. Another multiple question:
5. Is it possible to prevent Mac developers from using open source for their proprietary modifications?

mor

#5 Post by mor »

Is it possible to make a Mac OS X Maverick system look, perform, taste and smell like debian with KDE?
I gotta try!

Anyway, I want some cotton candy, I miss the feeling of sticky fingers... it reminds me of childhood.
How can I configure my debian system to make it give me back my youth?

pawelk

#6 Post by pawelk »

Issyer wrote:Why do I need to use it? I haven't used many things. Another multiple question:
5. Is it possible to prevent Mac developers from using open source for their proprietary modifications?
Im talking about OS X look and you are linking to Macbuntu, mayby you have some eye problem.
mor wrote:Is it possible to make a Mac OS X Maverick system look, perform, taste and smell like debian with KDE?
I gotta try!

Anyway, I want some cotton candy, I miss the feeling of sticky fingers... it reminds me of childhood.
How can I configure my debian system to make it give me back my youth?
Im asking about font rendering and other stuff, if you dont know the answer then dont post. Thx

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

pawelk wrote:<Multiple questions about making Linux look like OS X>
If you want OS X, install it. Google hackintosh for more info.
pawelk wrote:2) is it possible to redevelop GUI so every program looks similiar...
Similar yes. Identical, no. Google qtcurve for more into.

Oh, BTW... you aren't "entitled" to anything here. Trying to demand your answer on your terms is a suboptimal strategy.

Issyer

#8 Post by Issyer »

pawelk wrote:Im talking about OS X look and you are linking to Macbuntu, mayby you have some eye problem.
Oh don't worry. No problem. If you want " OS X look", here we go: http://www.apple.com/ca/osx/?cid=wwa-ca-kwg-mac-com

pawelk

#9 Post by pawelk »

dasein wrote:
pawelk wrote:<Multiple questions about making Linux look like OS X>
If you want OS X, install it. Google hackintosh for more info.
pawelk wrote:2) is it possible to redevelop GUI so every program looks similiar...
Similar yes. Identical, no. Google qtcurve for more into.

Oh, BTW... you aren't "entitled" to anything here. Trying to demand your answer on your terms is a suboptimal strategy.
I have never said i want to copy OS X, OS X look was just an example.

I want to know how is it possible to completely change the GUI, like font rendering, changing the windows look etc.

And i dont mean installing some cheap looking themes, i want to know what define how programs windows look etc.

Issyer

#10 Post by Issyer »

pawelk wrote:I want to know how is it possible to completely change the GUI, like font rendering, changing the windows look etc.

And i dont mean installing some cheap looking themes, i want to know what define how programs windows look etc.
That's what it is. Easily: http://www.cprogramming.com/
(The guy is a troll)

dasein

#11 Post by dasein »

pawelk wrote:I want to know how is it possible to completely change the GUI...
I want world peace and some chocolate chip ice cream.

pawelk

#12 Post by pawelk »

Bunch of idiots, waste of time

learn to read next time

mor

#13 Post by mor »

Ok, I know what you're up to, but I'm gonna pretend you are not, and I'm gonna answer to you seriously.

The point is that what you are asking is not something like "how do I change a light bulb?" that can be answered by something as simple as "you switch off the powerline, unscrew the old one, screw the new one on, turn the powerline on, flip the switch and enjoy the light!".

What you are asking is more like "How do I build light bulbs, how do I make them with different shapes and wattage, how do I craft the glass and the other components, how do I build lamps over them and entire electric systems and the houses these systems are into?".

You understand that even if your question didn't smell like a blatant attempt at stirring emotions, answering would really require starting from "It's a warm summer evening in Ancient Greece...".

If you really want to do that, you will have to study hard, because is not just a matter of someone telling you which is "the setting for that".
You are looking at ways to do a complete overhaul of the GUI (and "which one" would also change everything) and possibly the system as if it just required flipping a few switches.

These are things that you cannot do without, sorry I have to say it, reading a lot of ****** manuals. A lot.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I go back to my cotton candy.

Take care.

dasein

#14 Post by dasein »

pawelk wrote:Bunch of idiots, waste of time
You sound mad, boo.

I'd be happy to share my ice cream, if that would help.

pawelk

#15 Post by pawelk »

dasein wrote:
pawelk wrote:Bunch of idiots, waste of time
You sound mad, boo.

I'd be happy to share my ice cream, if that would help.
You sound like 12 year old nerd, sorry.
mor wrote:Ok, I know what you're up to, but I'm gonna pretend you are not, and I'm gonna answer to you seriously.

The point is that what you are asking is not something like "how do I change a light bulb?" that can be answered by something as simple as "you switch off the powerline, unscrew the old one, screw the new one on, turn the powerline on, flip the switch and enjoy the light!".

What you are asking is more like "How do I build light bulbs, how do I make them with different shapes and wattage, how do I craft the glass and the other components, how do I build lamps over them and entire electric systems and the houses these systems are into?".

You understand that even if your question didn't smell like a blatant attempt at stirring emotions, answering would really require starting from "It's a warm summer evening in Ancient Greece...".

If you really want to do that, you will have to study hard, because is not just a matter of someone telling you which is "the setting for that".
You are looking at ways to do a complete overhaul of the GUI (and "which one" would also change everything) and possibly the system as if it just required flipping a few switches.

These are things that you cannot do without, sorry I have to say it, reading a lot of ****** manuals. A lot.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I go back to my cotton candy.

Take care.
Finally normal talk, this is exactly what i am talking about, i dont know where to start thats why im asking, i dont want to simply install a theme, i want to know how do i make one, and i have zero idea how it works, what languages are required etc.

dasein

#16 Post by dasein »

pawelk wrote:...i dont know where to start thats why im asking
Well, why didn't you just say so in the first place??

Step 1: Learn to program
Step 2: Write your own GUI
Step 3: Profit!

saulgoode

#17 Post by saulgoode »

pawelk wrote:I want to know how is it possible to completely change the GUI, like font rendering, changing the windows look etc.
That's a pretty tall order. The core graphics handling is by X11, rendering and compositing handled by Cairo, font generation by Pango, and windows look etc by GTK. Of course, there are alternatives to each one of those (so I probably lied for most deployments of GNU/Linux).
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

pawelk

#18 Post by pawelk »

saulgoode wrote:
That's a pretty tall order. The core graphics handling is by X11, rendering and compositing handled by Cairo, font generation by Pango, and windows look etc by GTK. Of course, there are alternatives to each one of those (so I probably lied for most deployments of GNU/Linux).
Thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for.

dasein

#19 Post by dasein »

I'll never understand people who don't like ice cream. :?

mor

#20 Post by mor »

pawelk wrote:Thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for.
Ok, I'm glad you sorted it out.

But to further explain the reason why and the sense in which many, myself included, have been condescending with you, you have to understand that if one needs to ask such things, he instantly shows a lack of initiative and capacity to investigate and find out by himself, all prerogatives that are imperative to have when one is willing to embark in a so ambitious task.
In fact one doesn't need to ask what is needed, he can just find out by reading how the various desktop environments work.

Plus, your question has little to do with debian per se, since it is more DE oriented than just distro specific and if you put all these things together and the experience that some or many here have with users trying to flame by asking how to make debian be more like something else, there you have where the attitude came from.

Bye and take care