Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multiple questions (font rendering, GUI, file system)

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
dasein

Re: Multiple questions (font rendering, GUI, file system)

#16 Post by dasein »

pawelk wrote:...i dont know where to start thats why im asking
Well, why didn't you just say so in the first place??

Step 1: Learn to program
Step 2: Write your own GUI
Step 3: Profit!

saulgoode

#17 Post by saulgoode »

pawelk wrote:I want to know how is it possible to completely change the GUI, like font rendering, changing the windows look etc.
That's a pretty tall order. The core graphics handling is by X11, rendering and compositing handled by Cairo, font generation by Pango, and windows look etc by GTK. Of course, there are alternatives to each one of those (so I probably lied for most deployments of GNU/Linux).
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

pawelk

#18 Post by pawelk »

saulgoode wrote:
pawelk wrote:I want to know how is it possible to completely change the GUI, like font rendering, changing the windows look etc.
That's a pretty tall order. The core graphics handling is by X11, rendering and compositing handled by Cairo, font generation by Pango, and windows look etc by GTK. Of course, there are alternatives to each one of those (so I probably lied for most deployments of GNU/Linux).
Thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for.

dasein

#19 Post by dasein »

I'll never understand people who don't like ice cream. :?

mor

#20 Post by mor »

pawelk wrote:Thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for.
Ok, I'm glad you sorted it out.

But to further explain the reason why and the sense in which many, myself included, have been condescending with you, you have to understand that if one needs to ask such things, he instantly shows a lack of initiative and capacity to investigate and find out by himself, all prerogatives that are imperative to have when one is willing to embark in a so ambitious task.
In fact one doesn't need to ask what is needed, he can just find out by reading how the various desktop environments work.

Plus, your question has little to do with debian per se, since it is more DE oriented than just distro specific and if you put all these things together and the experience that some or many here have with users trying to flame by asking how to make debian be more like something else, there you have where the attitude came from.

Bye and take care

drl

#21 Post by drl »

Hi.

I seems to me that in order to replace something, say "a", with something else, say "b", one should lknow a lot about how "a" works. There is a path set up to help with the current goal,

For this situation, something like the chapter in LFS book http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... e/x/x.html would be a good start. Of course, one probably would need to get through the base part of LFS first before going through BFLS.

Just getting though LFS is clearly a big task, but it should be a good learning experience for anyone who aspires to address a similarly large task such as asked by the OP.

Good luck ... cheers, drl
["Sure, I can help you with that." -- USBank voice recognition system.
( Mn, 2.6.x, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 3 GB, SATA + IDE, NV34 )
Debian Wiki | Packages | Backports | Netinstall

thanatos_incarnate

#22 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Others have done something similar to what you want to do already. Maybe you'd like to join forces with them instead of reinventing the wheel?
Examples:

http://pearlinux.fr/
http://elementaryos.org/

Issyer

#23 Post by Issyer »

drl wrote:Just getting though LFS is clearly a big task, but it should be a good learning experience for anyone who aspires to address a similarly large task such as asked by the OP.

Good luck ... cheers, drl
No. The guy is asking how to turn Linux into Unix. Why? FreeBSD is a very nice user-friendly distro that starts in console. Once it has configured it looks pretty much like OS X with KDE.