Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Contacting Debian Developers

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
sreyan32

Contacting Debian Developers

#1 Post by sreyan32 »

Hello,
I am looking for a way to communicate my problems to Debian developers directly. I want to do this because posting in forums usually means that I won't get the exact solution to my problem and I have to wait an indefinete amount of time for the replies to come. Repiles may also come from people who don't understand the problem itself, for example they might come from noobs like me.

Is there a place or a way via which I can talk to the people who have actually coded Debian or atleast its base system ? For example, Microsoft has its own support site consisting of specialized support engineers for Windows and other Micorsoft products only.

Is there anythng like that for Debian ?

Randicus

Re: Contacting Debian Developers

#2 Post by Randicus »

sreyan32 wrote:For example, Microsoft has its own support site consisting of specialized support engineers for Windows and other Micorsoft products only.
That is because Microsoft is a company that sells its products. They use a minute amount of the profits to train and pay those specialized support engineers. In other words, that customer support is included in the price of the product.

sreyan32

#3 Post by sreyan32 »

Randicus wrote:
sreyan32 wrote:For example, Microsoft has its own support site consisting of specialized support engineers for Windows and other Micorsoft products only.
That is because Microsoft is a company that sells its products. They use a minute amount of the profits to train and pay those specialized support engineers. In other words, that customer support is included in the price of the product.
So you are telling me I can't get support from the developers of Debian right ? I have to rely on users like me ?

Birdy

#4 Post by Birdy »

yes

Randicus

#5 Post by Randicus »

No. The meaning of my post is; Debian does not have a separate web site staffed by paid support personnel like Microsoft does for Windows. At least a few developers can be contacted on mailing lists, IRC channels and so forth, but I do not know the details. And I doubt they provide much support. After all, they are busy developing. So you may be stuck with us.

Birdy

#6 Post by Birdy »

Birdy wrote:yes
Randicus wrote:No.
Pick your poison.

Randicus

#7 Post by Randicus »

My "no" does not refer to contacting developers, getting their help, or anything else. The "no" refers to the misinterpretation of the meaning of my first post. (Wow. That is almost confusing. :lol: )

Birdy

#8 Post by Birdy »

I think i got it that way.
Just making fun of the OP (and he sure has earned it).

Of course anyone can contact debian developers as much he likes. But the problems are: Will they answer such questions at all? and If they do, will the user be able to understand the answers (Not hitting the nail here. The answers will be around the lines of: None of my business. Read the manpage. Read the docu. Search the web). Both of that assumes that the questions are "lame".

More friendly (or helpful) you were right of course: mailing lists or IRC (for each and every subject on earth there is a mailing list or an IRC channel of Debian. The people there do know about the problem, be they developers or not. Same is valid for upstream dev's: they got mailing lists and/or IRC channels).

Randicus

#9 Post by Randicus »

Oh. A joke. :lol:
I am kind of slow today. :oops:

Birdy

#10 Post by Birdy »

Tell me about it. Deep winter here, dark and all, all is crap ... me tired.
(I edited my post, it is more useful yet, but in short simply agreed with your real intention).

Tadeas

#11 Post by Tadeas »

Are you sure you want something like this?
http://tadeas-moravec.yc.cz/Screen%20Sh ... .16.23.png
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

sreyan32

#12 Post by sreyan32 »

Tadeas wrote:

Are you sure you want something like this?
http://tadeas-moravec.yc.cz/Screen%20Sh ... .16.23.png
Maybe not. But all the problems I have encountered in Windows so far I have solved. But Linux is especially frustrating. Not one problem that I have encountered regarding booting has been solved. Everyone I am asking is asking me to download the latest version of Debian. So I was wondering if I could get in touch with the people who made a particular package for example grub-efi.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by oswaldkelso »

Debian is not Windows. In this world we help one another but some times talking to devs does help. They are real people but they do expect you to have done some work first.

Over the last two days after failing to build f-irc I contacted the main dev on irc and queried him. After rebuilding ncurses and still failing to buiild it I spoke to another dev for the distro I was trying to build it for and he found the "error/bug" was a generic setting in f-irc that was fine for some distros but not others. The f-irc dev said he should look into autoconf but with a new baby time was short. Other dev volunteers to work on autoconf \0/ . Sometimes it does pay to contact devs just don't waste their time.

Search for your problem in your favorite search engine > do your homework > if that fails > grub-efi debian wheezy > 2nd on list in my search, is official Debian package http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/grub-efi > on the right is "links for grub-efi" > the world is your oyster :twisted:
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

sreyan32

#14 Post by sreyan32 »

oswaldkelso wrote:Debian is not Windows. In this world we help one another but some times talking to devs does help. They are real people but they do expect you to have done some work first.

Over the last two days after failing to build f-irc I contacted the main dev on irc and queried him. After rebuilding ncurses and still failing to buiild it I spoke to another dev for the distro I was trying to build it for and he found the "error/bug" was a generic setting in f-irc that was fine for some distros but not others. The f-irc dev said he should look into autoconf but with a new baby time was short. Other dev volunteers to work on autoconf \0/ . Sometimes it does pay to contact devs just don't waste their time.

Search for your problem in your favorite search engine > do your homework > if that fails > grub-efi debian wheezy > 2nd on list in my search, is official Debian package http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/grub-efi > on the right is "links for grub-efi" > the world is your oyster :twisted:
How do I contact the devs for a particular package ? For example I wanted to contacted the dev specifically for the package grub-efi how would I do it ?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Um ... send them an email?
The links are on the page oswaldkelso pointed you to (via the "Developer information" link...).
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

sreyan32

#16 Post by sreyan32 »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Um ... send them an email?
The links are on the page oswaldkelso pointed you to (via the "Developer information" link...).
According to the Debian support page most of the interactions between users and developers are maintained via mailing lists. So do I simple email them or do I use mailing lists ?