Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Please Make Jessie Stable...

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
dbass81

Please Make Jessie Stable...

#1 Post by dbass81 »

Last edited by dbass81 on 2014-06-30 00:56, edited 2 times in total.

confuseling

Re: Please Make Jessie Stable...

#2 Post by confuseling »

You have much to learn, grasshopper...

http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stab ... cycle.html
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

dbass81

#3 Post by dbass81 »

Last edited by dbass81 on 2014-06-30 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

confuseling

#4 Post by confuseling »

Jessie is being made into Stable. It'll probably be released early 2015.

If you want a distro with new packages, Debian Stable is a terrible choice though.

Does that answer your question?
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

dbass81

#5 Post by dbass81 »

Last edited by dbass81 on 2014-06-30 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

dbass81 wrote:Yeah, I read that.
Then go back and read it again (and again, if necessary) until you understand Debian's release cycle.

Debian Testing is transformed into Debian Stable once every 3 years or so, once all the RC bugs have been squashed. That transformation takes months to accomplish.

If Debian offends your keen sense of software fashion, maybe try Arch. They are super kewl and trendy. Added bonus: with Arch, you get to brag that your computer feels so much faster.

MALsPa

#7 Post by MALsPa »

dasein wrote:If Debian offends your keen sense of software fashion, maybe try Arch. They are super kewl and trendy.
:D

Randicus

#8 Post by Randicus »

dbass81 wrote:Wheezy's kernel and packages are just too old to make a usable system
Millions of people would disagree with you. But thanks for posting such a ridiculous statement. It gave me a chance to smile today.

sgosnell

#9 Post by sgosnell »

If you want new and shiny, run Ubuntu. They kick out a new version every 6 months, ready or not. And it's based on Debian Unstable, so it has the latest and shiniest packages. Lots of bugs, crashes a lot, but at least it's new. And shiny. And purple, the last time I looked, which was admittedly a few years ago.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

dbass81 wrote:
confuseling wrote:Jessie is being made into Stable. It'll probably be released early 2015.

If you want a distro with new packages, Debian Stable is a terrible choice though.

Does that answer your question?
Yes, this is exactly my point. I'm glad Jessie is being made stable. I just didn't know the timeline. Wheezy's kernel and packages are just too old to make a usable system, although I still run it on my server because all I really need is proftpd and squid3 on it.
The kernel has little to do with building newer packages, but much to do with hardware. You can run a newer kernel on wheezy with a few mouse clicks. Almost all packages can still be backported to a stable Wheezy base, plus there's a workaround to run Steam on Wheezy.

How about checking out MX 14 for proof of this? http://mepiscommunity.org/mx
MX Linux packager and developer

ew-linux

#11 Post by ew-linux »

If you aren't happy with the current stable, then you got a few options. You can upgrade to testing or unstable, but you say that it breaks for you, and that you aren't able to handle it. Well, then you need to qualify yourself, and that means to read and study a little bit. If you don't want to do that, then you could always run a debian-based distro that tracks testing/unstable and does everything for you.

Then of course, using backports are also an alternative, but it can be confusing if you don't want to educate yourself about how it works.

As to why something breaks both in testing and unstable, it's because sometimes the same versions of a package is in both. Testing isn't supposed to be 100% stable, so it happens that packages are moved into testing before they are stable. Stable is stable, don't expect anything else to be.... stable.

llivv

#12 Post by llivv »

maybe it's just me and my specific machines, arch i386
but testing seems more volatile then unstable, ATM
geeez :lol:
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

acewiza

#13 Post by acewiza »

sgosnell wrote:... but at least it's new.
Sorry but I gotta disagree! Booted up the recently released 14.04 live DVD a few days ago and it looked just exactly like the last release I saw.

Spent all of 5 minutes with it and did not see the need to look any further.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

ew-linux

#14 Post by ew-linux »

acewiza wrote:
sgosnell wrote:... but at least it's new.
Sorry but I gotta disagree! Booted up the recently released 14.04 live DVD a few days ago and it looked just exactly like the last release I saw.

Spent all of 5 minutes with it and did not see the need to look any further.
Agreed. I took it a bit further. I always have free partitions ready to test new distros, so I installed it. Spent a few hours with it, but there was absolutely nothing new worth mentioning. A very boring Ubuntu-release. I removed it, and also took Xubuntu 14.04 for a spin, and that was better, but still, nothing exciting at all. 14.04 seems redundant to me.

ew-linux

#15 Post by ew-linux »

llivv wrote:maybe it's just me and my specific machines, arch i386
but testing seems more volatile then unstable, ATM
geeez :lol:
Fixes comes quicker to unstable, so your impression is often correct.

runfrodorun

#16 Post by runfrodorun »

I personally use debian stable for most use cases. To be honest, the main reason is I just get annoyed always having to update software and I'm lazy. I wish I had a more sophisticated answer :P. There are some instances where I need newer packages, so on a few of my PC's I keep a separate testing/sid image, mainly for work. On the other hand, I've never experienced breaking due to an upgrade, and I've been on testing/sid for a very long time. Have you read the documentation on the differences in the setup with the unstable channel?
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.