Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

scsi cd problem FAI installation on Debian squeeze

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
kshankar

scsi cd problem FAI installation on Debian squeeze

#1 Post by kshankar »

I am trying to using Fully Automated installation from a scsi cd-rom drive on Debian Squeeze.
Problem I face is the scsi host-bus-adaptor-Id keeps changing on me during the installation.
This causes the cd-rom to get unmounted and re-mounted. The installation there causes
kernel-panic or just hangs.

For instance initially the scsi Id is 0:0:0:0. After sometime it changes to
1:0:0:0 followed by 2:0:0:0 and so on. My fstab file does not contain entry for
scsi-cd as this is a debootstrap installation wherein I am formatting the disk and installing
OS for the first time.
I am performing a mount of the scsi-cd using
mount -v -t iso9660 `ls /dev/sr?` /live/image, where I am certain initially /dev/sr?=/dev/sr1
for scsi-Id 0:0:0:0, but this increments automatically after some time.

My question(s) are
1) Is there any way to prevent scsi-cd Id changing from 0:0:0:0 to 1:0:0:0 and so on
2) Is there some timer at which this automatically occurs.

My fstab contents during debootstrap are as follows.
/dev/md0 /target/ ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro
/dev/md1 /target/mysqldata ext3 rw
/dev/md2 /target/var/lib/tatara ext3 rw

I don't have an entry for
/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660,ro,user,noauto
since during FAI installation, there is no /target/media directory at all.

In the initial hw-detect I am pre-loading the following kernel modules for scsi devices