Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Proprietary nvidia drivers in Jessie

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
runfrodorun

Proprietary nvidia drivers in Jessie

#1 Post by runfrodorun »

They're just gone. Did anybody else notice this? I can't use my laptop unless I upgrade to sid. This is really bizarre! I hope somebody fixes this with the morning build, this is a crazy problem to have (But I guess it is testing after all
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

wayne128

Re: Proprietary nvidia drivers in Jessie

#2 Post by wayne128 »

Yes, it is Testing afterall.

I read quite a few reports elsewhere on the same issue.

Many people who reported the issue also reported when they use smxi/sgfxi they can get the driver installed and run well.

and by the way, running testing or sid, there is a need to pay attention to what it wants to remove before proceeding to dist-upgrade.

runfrodorun

Re: Proprietary nvidia drivers in Jessie)))

#3 Post by runfrodorun »

Yeah, you're right. I mustn't have been paying attention, because I saw it was removing it but I thought it was doing a replace, but I wasn't feeling well and was in a hurry so I wasn't about to question :P BTW was not fixed in the morning update so heads up to nvidia users on Jessie.
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

I have seen this when I tried to dist-upgrade yesterday. Normally after reading the packages and I see anything worrying/ suspicious I find that the switch -s helps a lot! Testing by name, testing by nature.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

Ardouos wrote:... I find that the switch -s helps a lot!
Indeed it does, regardless of release.

My personal opinion: anyone who blindly applies updates without pausing to consider the consequences has no business running either Testing or Sid.

runfrodorun

#6 Post by runfrodorun »

It was a mistake, I thought it was replacing and not removing.

I upgraded to sid, and saw that the driver is not really available, but what I also saw is that we dropped sys-v compatibility, and I think that's probably shaken everything up, and my conclusion is that's why we're not seeing these drivers in there.

We all make mistakes, but I think anybody who doesn't want to be stuck on 3 year old software has business running jessie or sid, and that's me because some of the features in the libraries I use aren't there in stable.
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

Ardouos

#7 Post by Ardouos »

runfrodorun wrote:But I think anybody who doesn't want to be stuck on 3 year old software has business running jessie or sid, and that's me because some of the features in the libraries I use aren't there in stable.
You have to remember that testing/ sid are development branches and are not the full release of Debian. Infact how the system is treated and run is different too!

It is up to you what system you want to use... But also bear in mint that there are other projects that people released to try and help release a more stable testing system: LMDE and Solydxk.

There is also Arch and Fedora which are bleeding edge systems if you want to keep really up to date.

But I stand by what I say. Testing by name, testing by nature. It will probably be awhile before the problem is resolved, next time just be careful before blindly upgrading ;).
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

PeterB

#8 Post by PeterB »

The problem should be fixed (in unstable);
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=755467

but it hasn't migrated to testing yet.

milomak

#9 Post by milomak »

this is what is in sid

Code: Select all

# dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  glx-alternative-nvidia                    0.4.1                           amd64        allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64                   340.24-2                        amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386                    340.24-2                        i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386                    340.24-2                        i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL 32-bit libraries
ii  libnvidia-ml1:amd64                       340.24-2                        amd64        NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library
ii  nvidia-alternative                        340.24-2                        amd64        allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  nvidia-driver                             340.24-2                        amd64        NVIDIA metapackage
ii  nvidia-glx                                340.24-2                        amd64        transition to nvidia-driver
ii  nvidia-installer-cleanup                  20131102+1                      amd64        cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-installer
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                      20131102+1                      amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii  nvidia-kernel-dkms                        340.24-2                        amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source
ii  nvidia-kernel-source                      340.24-2                        amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii  nvidia-modprobe                           340.24-1                        amd64        utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create device nodes
ii  nvidia-support                            20131102+1                      amd64        NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files
ii  nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64                 340.24-2                        amd64        NVIDIA vdpau driver
ii  nvidia-xconfig                            340.24-1                        amd64        X configuration tool for non-free NVIDIA drivers
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia                 340.24-2                        amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
what i have generally found for instance when i am pulling from experimental, that the only files pulled are nvidia related packages. but i always check with a fine toothcomb to ensure no other system files are being updated. or if they are, i am happy with what is happening.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

vbrummond

#10 Post by vbrummond »

The changelog mentions Nvidia being broken due to the xorg 1.16 transition. Experts can selectively migrate packages from sid to testing. Beginners can try to uninstall nvidia packages and use the installer from nvidia, or just not upgrade until the transition is complete.

http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/c ... _changelog
Always on Debian Testing

roseway

#11 Post by roseway »

... or you can do what I decided to do, and revert to the nouveau driver. This works so well on my system that I won't be bothering to reinstall nVidia when the transition is complete.
Eric

runfrodorun

#12 Post by runfrodorun »

PeterB wrote:The problem should be fixed (in unstable);
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=755467

but it hasn't migrated to testing yet.
Yes, I updated about a week ago, and got the good drivers back, and then I set my apt to testing again, and waited for it to catch up
roseway wrote:... or you can do what I decided to do, and revert to the nouveau driver. This works so well on my system that I won't be bothering to reinstall nVidia when the transition is complete.
Noveau is borderline non-functional on every single system of mine. On my powermac it panics the kernel after about 2 minutes of use (which is really bad because I can't run proprietary drivers on ppc, had to buy a radeon card), and I get DOUBLE the battery life with the proprietary nvidia drivers. Maybe there's power options for nouveau? I don't know, but that doesn't seem to me like something I should have to **** around for a week setting up, and the performance of nouveau is absolutely horrendous, I'm beginning to wonder if it really supports some of the cards that their website says they support. It really sucks that nvidia does not release any specs at all for the nouveau team, because the driver has been unusuable for me.

I used RedHat linux about 12 years ago, and it wasn't my thing... Fedora is great and all but debian is where it's at for me :)
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

PeterB

#13 Post by PeterB »

Well, it should be fixed in testing now.

I think I'll wait for someone else to confirm it works before upgrading :wink:

RandomBK

#14 Post by RandomBK »

A quick workaround is to manually start up the driver using:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe nvidia-current
Bumblebee removes the module once optirun exits though, so you'll have to run that before every optirun.