Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windows Service-Like in Debian

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
jrahma

Windows Service-Like in Debian

#1 Post by jrahma »

Hi,

I have an application on Microsoft Windows Client connecting to MySQL on Microsoft Windows Server which I am currently moving it to MySQL on Linux

My current application (on server) has a windows server to read the database based on interval and send email reminders.

What would be the alternative on Linux?

levlaz

Re: Windows Service-Like in Debian

#2 Post by levlaz »

Hi!

It depends on what the service is actually doing. If you simply want to get notified when an automated task occurs, you could set up a CRON job and have it send an email when it is finished:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthr ... f-cron-job

Could you elaborate more on what specifically the service is doing?

Best,

Lev
Best,

Lev
Blog

jrahma

#3 Post by jrahma »

it should just do a simple SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE queries on specific time defined in MySQL database in addition to sending email notifications

levlaz

#4 Post by levlaz »

I am sure that there are a hundred ways to approach this problem, but maybe the easiest would be to write a simple php (or python) script to run these queries, and then have a CRON job fire off the script periodically. You can set up the script to send you emails.
Best,

Lev
Blog