Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(Solved) Synaptic bug in Jesse

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
exploder

(Solved) Synaptic bug in Jesse

#1 Post by exploder »

Since the last batch of updates for Gnome Shell I am seeing problems with Synaptic. Synaptic takes forever to do anything and sometimes freezes up my system. I can use the CLI to update and get around the problem so it is not that big of a deal.

Since Jesse is in development I expect things like this. I believe the problem started when the remaining Gnome Shell packages came in, at least that is when I noticed it. Has this bug been reported? How can I contribute? Just looking for a little advise from some experienced members here. :)
Last edited by exploder on 2014-10-28 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

thanatos_incarnate

Re: Synaptic bug in Jesse

#2 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Start Synaptic from the console and see what output you get.
You could google for the error output and also specifically scan all the bug reports on:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... e=synaptic

Some additional reading you should do prior to reporting bugs:
https://wiki.debian.org/HowtoUseBTS

exploder

#3 Post by exploder »

Thank you for your response and guidance! I found numerous critical bug reports with Synaptic. I started Synaptic from the terminal but no unusual output occurred. I did see processor use shoot up when launching and refreshing Synaptic. Also, when refreshing, memory use goes up much higher than normal.

I will look through the bug reports and see if anyone else has reported what I saw. It is clear that Synaptic will be receiving some attention and I do not wish to further complicate things for the developers though. I will add to a bug report though if it may be of help.

I will explore the information carefully and go from there. :)

Thanks again for your help! :D

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Exactly the same thing happens to me.

At a guess, Synaptic might be busy indexing. It uses a lot of CPU and does a fair bit of disc access but it does finish what it's doing in the end. Do you have Xapian index installed as well?

Update: Synaptic has the same issue without Xapian index.

exploder

#5 Post by exploder »

Yes, Xapian index is installed, I have a stock Jesse install. I did notice that the search feature in Synaptic works fine because I used it to check if the package was installed. Synaptic still functions on my system, just it's start up and refreshing seem to be effected. I am not seeing any problems using the command line to check for and install updates.

I have seen this exact same bug in another distro after Gnome packages were updated but I have no idea what the problem was or how it was resolved. When I searched for bugs I did see several concerning Synaptic but I have not read through all of them yet to see if this problem has been reported.

Your guess about indexing might be correct. I do not think indexing has any impact on using the command line to update the system. It's an interesting bug for sure! :)

exploder

#6 Post by exploder »

Finally found the bug report!

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=762298

There is really nothing I can add to it though...

Edit: This mornings updates have Synaptic working right again! :)