Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Preserve freedom of choice of init systems

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Ardouos

Preserve freedom of choice of init systems

#1 Post by Ardouos »

I will just leave this here for any that are interested:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/20 ... 00001.html
Last edited by Ardouos on 2014-10-17 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

golinux

Re: The preservation of freedom and choice of init systems

#2 Post by golinux »

It's about time. Now let's see where it goes . . .
May the FORK be with you!

PeterB

Re: Preserve freedom of choice of init systems

#3 Post by PeterB »

s0nny

#4 Post by s0nny »

Hopefully they'll come to their senses and reject systemd. If not, I will switch to FreeBSD after several years of Debian.

robert3242

#5 Post by robert3242 »

I've posted several times to these forums to express my belief that if Debian is swtiching to systemd merely because Gnome developers have chosen to pull a power play on any distro which features a Gnome DE, then I think Debian is making a mistake to allow the tail to wag the dog in that way. Having said that, however, I really don't care which init system they settle on so long as it works at least as well as the one we're all used to. But "Preserve freedom of choise of init systems?" That makes not a lick of sense to me. Since when did any Gnu/Linux or even BSD distro ever allow end-users to select an init system of choice?
Debian 7.7 (amd64)/Xfce 4.8

golinux

#6 Post by golinux »

robert3242 wrote:Since when did any Gnu/Linux or even BSD distro ever allow end-users to select an init system of choice?
Since when has a Linux system entangled and in effect locked-in a specific init system with a DE and upstream apps?

Hdmi1

#7 Post by Hdmi1 »

Happy systemd user. (Desktop)

Ardouos

#8 Post by Ardouos »

I am neither for or against systemd, but I am a believer of choice.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

golinux

#9 Post by golinux »

The list in this post should be enough to give a thinking person second thoughts as to the reach of systemd and to question whether it's a good idea.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

...and if they don't think it's a good idea, just run this simple command to prevent systemd from ever running as the init system:

Code: Select all

# apt-get install sysvinit-core systemd-shim systemd-sysv-
https://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianU ... _Jessie.3F

Thus preserving freedom of choice of init systems -- aren't Debian great? :)
deadbang

edbarx

#11 Post by edbarx »

If Debian decides to keep init freedom, with systemd or not, it will continue to be Debian as I knew it these last eight years I have been using it. If some want systemd, why not? After all, I used KDE when I first switched to use GNU/Linux. I never liked Gnome enough to adopt it as my desktop although it is Debian's default.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

spacex

#12 Post by spacex »

The freedom of choice will always be preserved in Debian, but the question is how limited the app-selection eventually will become on a non-systemd system. Because Debian doesn't develop a lot of the apps we are using, and if the apps and other software depends on systemd, then well...

So how viable a non-systemd alternative will be in the long run, depends on how many developers that will develop software-alternatives for non-systemd users. In some situations we probably can repack the software ourselves and remove the systemd-dependencies, but in other cases, there will be no way around systemd, besides rewriting the entire code, and for all practical purposes, create new modified apps for non-systemd systems.

Anyway, it will take quite a few years before SysVinit becomes a big limitation in Debian. But at some point, it will become a limitation, as non-systemd useres will run into lot's of dependency-issues. No doubt about it.