Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Rescue Floppy/Disk?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
thamarok

Debian Rescue Floppy/Disk?

#1 Post by thamarok »

Hello!

While there are some distributions out there that make "rescue" floppies, and that you can use the Debian CD to rescue your system, sometimes it could happen that you broke something like GRUB and lost your Debian CD and don't have access to a PC to burn a new image.. Having a handy rescue floppy beforehand would solve this :)

Ofcourse, a Debian Rescue CD would also be cool for those who don't have floppy drives... what do you think about it?

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#2 Post by Lavene »

Hehe... make two install CDs then, and make sure to only loose one...
I don't know why it would be easier to not loose a rescue CD/ Floppy than the original install CD. By the way, Knoppix makes for an excellent rescue cd.

Making a boot floppy isn't that hard either I think (Not done it my self but I can't imagine it would be that difficult)

Tina

DeanLinkous

#3 Post by DeanLinkous »

A grub floppy is simple but cannot contain the actual kernel since the kernel is so large anymore. I actually keep my grub floppy in my laptop all the time - dont lose it that way. That is how I start my installs since I dont have a internal cd drive. I also have grub entries to boot my installations just in case.

So yea, grub floppy is a good idea!
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

thamarok

#4 Post by thamarok »

DeanLinkous wrote:A grub floppy is simple but cannot contain the actual kernel since the kernel is so large anymore. I actually keep my grub floppy in my laptop all the time - dont lose it that way. That is how I start my installs since I dont have a internal cd drive. I also have grub entries to boot my installations just in case.

So yea, grub floppy is a good idea!
You said it so well, so +1!
I don't think it's hard to make a small rescue floppy, and to make it unique, it should have the Debian logo..

It should feature Bash, some small access to the hard disk (to do grub-install or something else) and the stability of Debian :)

ghostdawg

#5 Post by ghostdawg »

I remember in my early days using Debian, I could type make boot and it would make a nice boot disk. If grub or anything got borked, I would just slide the boot disk in the floppy and boot debian.

Not sure what all was included on the floppy but it made a great boot disk. I don't have a floppy drive at the moment but will buy one.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

thamarok

#6 Post by thamarok »

I'll try that and see what happens..
Btw, do you know any KDE Floppy Formatter?

ghostdawg

#7 Post by ghostdawg »

Gnome has a floppy formatter in the applications menu, I would assume KDE has one also.

thamarok

#8 Post by thamarok »

ghostdawg wrote:Gnome has a floppy formatter in the applications menu, I would assume KDE has one also.
Not, if you installed just the bones of the system :wink:
kdebase doesn't seem to have a floppy formatter..

ghostdawg

#9 Post by ghostdawg »

Maybe it's part of kdeutils or something! :?

DeanLinkous

#10 Post by DeanLinkous »

a GUI to format a floppy.....????. c'mon....... c'MON...... :)

Sheesh....they do have one!!!!
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/kfloppy.html
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Grifter

#11 Post by Grifter »

What do you need a floppy for? Rip it out, and it won't be a problem ever again

Get a usb stick, fill it up with a rescue image, boot from it whenever you need to
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

thamarok

#12 Post by thamarok »

Grifter wrote:What do you need a floppy for? Rip it out, and it won't be a problem ever again

Get a usb stick, fill it up with a rescue image, boot from it whenever you need to
Floppies are so cute and you can do many things with them, like:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Starship- ... loppy-Disk

Grifter

#13 Post by Grifter »

That was a funny link

but if you want a good rescue disc, google for "debian from scratch", the dfs cd is truly excellent
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

nopposan

rescue floppy

#14 Post by nopposan »

I have an old laptop that doesn't have a CD drive. 'Used floppy images to install Debian Testing from the net. 'Worked like a charm!

Some floppy rescue disks might be a good idea for a system like the one I've got. I'm not planning to buy a CD rom for it.

'Not interested in hearing anyone tell me to trash the old laptop either. It's got a future.
Don't Panic!

synux

Re: rescue floppy

#15 Post by synux »

nopposan wrote:I have an old laptop that doesn't have a CD drive. 'Used floppy images to install Debian Testing from the net. 'Worked like a charm!

Some floppy rescue disks might be a good idea for a system like the one I've got. I'm not planning to buy a CD rom for it.

'Not interested in hearing anyone tell me to trash the old laptop either. It's got a future.
Yeah! Long live floppies!
*Going to buy a brand new blu-ray writer* :shock: :lol:
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

nopposan

floppies

#16 Post by nopposan »

Well, I truly hope that floppies continue to become less and less popular. However, I also hope that options will remain for those who want to keep their old floppy-dependent hardware running.
Don't Panic!