Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Desktop does not start after upgrade 20/12/2014

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
mdavies5

Desktop does not start after upgrade 20/12/2014

#1 Post by mdavies5 »

Using Jessie Testing with Cinnamon and most things were working beautifully. I then rebooted and Cinnamon did not start but I had desktop icons and conky output on a balck background. I could run "cinnamon" and everything would work. I can get around the problem by putting "cinnamon" in my startup apps but what broke it? My syslog shows " 11:40:52 michael cinnamon-session[1315]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update" (No such file or directory)
Dec 21 11:40:52 michael colord: Profile added: icc-6a206ebe1065108cee4a6a9361".
1. The file /usr/bin.xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update does not exist and it is called from /etc/xdg/user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop. I have modified this desktop file to call /usr/bin.xdg-user-dirs-update which does exist but it does not help.
2. I am not sure if this error (1) has anything to do with failing to start Cinnamon as I think it only affects the /home/ folder configuration.
Anybody else have a similar problem?

Update 26/12/2014
I have re-installed and, fortunately, not been able to reproduce this problem. Would satill be nce to know which files initiate the loading of the desktop.
Cheers, Michael