Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Will Debian 8...?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
DarknessTigerpaw

Will Debian 8...?

#1 Post by DarknessTigerpaw »

Will there be a Debian 8 UEFI install image?

I've been using Debian for almost 10 years now but I've been battling for over six months to get Debian installed on ONE server. I've pulled all the hair out of my head and my blood pressure is topping off into the lethal zone. I've read everyone's stories on how they got around UEFI on their boxes, and that's grand, but there's no instructions. Do A. Then do B... I've offered people money for instructions and I still get nowhere. I'm not going to leave Debian, it's the only OS I'll use.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Will Debian 8...?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Debian 7.7 will install in EFI-mode on 64-bit machines but not 32-bit.

I think 7.8 may install in EFI-mode on 32-bit machines also, but I haven't checked.

Debian 8.0 will certainly install in EFI-mode, I would bet my life savings on it (yes, all 10 pence).

If you want to prepare the disk beforehand, make sure you have a 512MiB FAT(32) formatted EFI system partition and mark it as the "EFI Boot Partition" in the installer.
;)

EDIT: To avoid UEFI, simply select "CSM" or "Legacy" mode from your firmware (BIOS) menus when booting up the installer.
deadbang

spacex

#3 Post by spacex »

I just installed the latest weekly build of Jessie AMD64, and it installs in uefi-mode. Everything pitch perfect. Loved it. I hope they end up with XFCE4 as default, but it's no biggie. It's easy enough to install a alternative DE, or have no DE at all :)

RU55EL

#4 Post by RU55EL »

I couldn't install on an Intel NUC in legacy mode. (EFI disabled) I went round and round until I updated the bios. Then everything behaved properly.

If you haven't, try updating the bios.

nikobit

#5 Post by nikobit »

It worked for me That's how I did it But new problem came to existence. I'm not able to boot from anything but GRUB 2. Neither USB-flash nor DVD/CD are not able to boot first even if set so from UEFI priorities list. Anybody has a clue on that one?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.0-19-amd64
  • Shell: bash
  • DE: GNOME 3.38.4
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 8x 4GHz
  • GPU: NVE4
  • RAM: 2384MiB / 15925MiB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jesus92gz

#6 Post by jesus92gz »

nikobit wrote:It worked for me That's how I did it But new problem came to existence. I'm not able to boot from anything but GRUB 2. Neither USB-flash nor DVD/CD are not able to boot first even if set so from UEFI priorities list. Anybody has a clue on that one?
Have you tried booting directly in UEFI/BIOS menu? There is a list of available bootable devices where you can select the media to start from (USB/CD/Partitions)

Turn off fast boot if enabled.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

nikobit wrote:It worked for me That's how I did it But new problem came to existence. I'm not able to boot from anything but GRUB 2. Neither USB-flash nor DVD/CD are not able to boot first even if set so from UEFI priorities list. Anybody has a clue on that one?
Have a look at the output of:

Code: Select all

efibootmgr
And then try changing the order of the NVRAM entries using:

Code: Select all

# efibootmgr -o xxxx,yyyy,zzzz
Where "xxxx", "yyyy" & "zzzz" are the Bootnumbers of the entries.
deadbang