Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Convert EXT4 / & /home to BTRFS-problems....

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
autocrosser

Convert EXT4 / & /home to BTRFS-problems....

#1 Post by autocrosser »

To start this off---I'm running Sid (I know, I know--not stable) & I wanted to play around with BTRFS.....So I found the article: https://www.debian-administration.org/a ... m_to_btrfs & went through the steps. Long story short.. I got a single good boot out of it & then the next time nothing but kernel errors, couldn't find root partition, etc (started after doing step 19).... Question I have is there a "newer" guide or someone with current experience that could outline the steps that they took to do the convert... I have systemd on the install also & that seems to have compounded the problem....

Not looking for flame responses--just input or suggestions to do a "successful" convert.

Cheers!!!
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR
Linux User# 395230

milomak

Re: Convert EXT4 / & /home to BTRFS-problems....

#2 Post by milomak »

can you mount the root system from a livecd?

if so, what does your /etc/fstab look like?

so too fdisk -l?

edit - your question about a newer guide only requires to change the date range on your google search
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

autocrosser

#3 Post by autocrosser »

Thanks for the reply--In reverse order--That guide was the "newest" one I could find. Was thinking that I used the wrong search settings & was looking for other ideas....

I have reverted the install (wanted input based off of systems that have been converted recently--not from info from 3 years ago...)

Any thoughts or ideas other than the guide I mentioned? Had anyone had problems using that method of conversion?
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR
Linux User# 395230

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@OP: Answer all of milomak's questions.
deadbang

autocrosser

#5 Post by autocrosser »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:@OP: Answer all of milomak's questions.
Right then--I'll try to convert again this weekend & report findings....
Linux User# 395230

aSystemOverload

#6 Post by aSystemOverload »

Hi autocrosser,
Did you try the conversion again?
I'm not brave enough to try a conversion, but I will be setting up a spare machine and playing around with BTRFS Pools on a few external/internal drives and testing whether I can use it as a primary backup for some main drives (~4 - 6TB of critical data). My current machine is Jessie (since before it went stable) and the tester machine will be Jessie too.

As a quick history to my experiences. I was using a 3TB external Seagate USB 3 drive that I'd previously had on a Win Machine, so was formatted as NTFS, but it developed more and more disk errors before giving up and losing a sh!t load of data. A new 4TB external drive (big brother to the one that died) started exhibiting similar errors, so I moved some recovered data (from other drives) off of the new 4TB, formatted it as EXT4 and I've not had any issues since.

But I've still got all my data on multiple single drives (one copy). I'd initially looked at trying RAID, but I think BTRFS looks like a far more flexible solution. So if anyone else has experience of using BTRFS and multiple pools over different internal/external drives, I'd appreciate any feedback on your experiences.

autocrosser

#7 Post by autocrosser »

I tried it again with about the same results---I'm going to wait a bit until BTRFS settles out a bit more--I was looking for a faster file system & I still think this will be the one--in about a year or so..
Linux User# 395230