Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Jessie: Unable to reboot

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Michele13

Debian Jessie: Unable to reboot

#1 Post by Michele13 »

Hi everyone, I'm surprised that this bug has not been already solved. When I reboot debian jessie the computer freezes when it says restarting system. I've just done a net install, I'm using a 32-bit kernel with pae support (the kernel version is 3.16). I've encountered even in another distro (based on slackware) that has the kernel version 3.17. They said that the problem was kernel related. How can I give more info about my problem? I'd relly like to solve this problem before Jessie becomes stable. Maybe a kernel upgrade to 3.19 is sufficient?

EDIT: the problem is also present in the Jessie installer

EDIT (2): Here's more datails about my system.

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
02:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
02:06.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection (rev 03)
to reboot the system I used "sudo reboot". I did a minimal installation using a net install ISO loaded using the HdMedia kernel and initrd, with debconf priority to low (so it was an advanced install),
during the reboot I see the following message

watchdog watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
reboot: Restarting system

PeterB

Re: Debian Jessie: Unable to reboot

#2 Post by PeterB »

Michele13 wrote: When I reboot debian jessie the computer freezes ... I've just done a net install
Hi Michele, you'll probably get better help if you post your problem here
http://forums.debian.net/viewforum.php?f=17

This sub forum is just for discussing development processes, not for bug/problem reports.

Regards,
PB

mercoledì

#3 Post by mercoledì »

Same problem with Jessie!!! I've tried Debian Stretch and Unstable too, but the problem still persists. Only Wheezy allows me to reboot. Did you solve it? :roll: Thanks

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mercoledì wrote:Same problem with Jessie!!! I've tried Debian Stretch and Unstable too, but the problem still persists. Only Wheezy allows me to reboot. Did you solve it? :roll: Thanks
Try this:

Edit the file at /etc/default/grub (as root) and add this snippet to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=bios"
Then run:

# update-grub
If that doesn't work, try "reboot=acpi" instead.
deadbang

mercoledì

#5 Post by mercoledì »

Thank you! Nothing with "reboot=bios", but "reboot=acpi" worked at the first reboot. At the second reboot it didn't work anymore :(

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Does this work:

systemctl reboot -i
deadbang

Michele13

#7 Post by Michele13 »

for me the "reboot=bios" parameter works

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Michele13 wrote:for me the "reboot=bios" parameter works
Be a darling and add "[SOLVED]" to the thread title please -- it will help others with this problem ;)
deadbang

mercoledì

#9 Post by mercoledì »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Does this work:

systemctl reboot -i
It doesn't work :(

I think it's a bug!
Bios=acpi parameter and then "update-grub" has worked for me, but only at the first reboot. That's really strange...

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mercoledì wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Does this work:

systemctl reboot -i
It doesn't work
What happens exactly and what is the verbatim terminal output after you run that command?
deadbang

mercoledì

#11 Post by mercoledì »

From tty, always the same result:

but the system doesn't restart!
From a terminal emulator, like xterm or lxterminal, when I run reboot commands I just see a black screen with a white underscore :(

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mercoledì wrote:From tty, always the same result:

but the system doesn't restart!
From a terminal emulator, like xterm or lxterminal, when I run reboot commands I just see a black screen with a white underscore :(
The watchdog message is unimportant.

Have you tried the kernel parameters I listed above?

Have you tried `systemctl reboot -i`?
deadbang

mercoledì

#13 Post by mercoledì »

Yes, of course!
My last post was related to the command you've suggested (systemctl reboot -i), and, as you can see above, I've tried both the parameters 'reboot=bios' and 'reboot=acpi'. In the first case I got the same black screen, in the second case (reboot=acpi and then update-grub) reboot worked only at the first time...when I tried to reboot for a second time I got the black screen again.

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Sorry, I didn't realise it was you -- I answer a *lot* of queries...

I'm out of ideas here.
deadbang