Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bye libav, welcome back FFmpeg.

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
MoaTib

Bye libav, welcome back FFmpeg.

#1 Post by MoaTib »

Yep, the Debian Multimedia Team is on the way to bring back FFmpeg:
http://balintreczey.hu/blog/debian-is-p ... to-ffmpeg/
apt-get install braindump -t unstable

Stupid changes are not synonymous of useful progress.

stevepusser

Re: Bye libav, welcome back FFmpeg.

#2 Post by stevepusser »

MoaTib wrote:Yep, the Debian Multimedia Team is on the way to bring back FFmpeg:
http://balintreczey.hu/blog/debian-is-p ... to-ffmpeg/
Nope, it coexists happily with libav in upstream and in the Wheezy and Jessie-based systems I've backported it to. No need to say goodbye.

OK, I see Debian is debating dumping libav, though.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:goodbye.
Great, I'll be singing that all day now...
:P
deadbang

slackguy

#4 Post by slackguy »

i'm unfamiliar with libav or what hw support if any gnome streamer libs added. what mpeg chips did it support? how many codecs?

but i know ffmpeg (and it's many dependancies) did have both ACTUAL mutimedia hardware support an standardized "codec" support

(meaning, an application using could copy an mpeg movie to an ffmpeg stream, the steam woudl through codec find it's way to A HARDWARE MPEG DECODER, which is on any video card worth 2 cents.)

that is: if your not careful someone will "sell you" multimedia libs that are all software foo and dont actaully use multimedia hardware (they simulate it and are very cpu intensive and way too slow to use on older computers, and simply a misrepresentation / rip-off as to use on newer ones)

I know apple "QuickTime" used to have some hardware support, but today is just a kinda "widget library" (an improved motif or alternate gtk, but not apple multimedia sharing support to speak of - Qt no longer allows apple movies to play on non-apple pc's)

slackguy

#5 Post by slackguy »

early Qt allowed apple consumers to share their printed documents, audio, images, and video to other platforms (ie, win95).

Qt LATER advertised a feature of allowing apple users to release programs using Qt that worked on apple and win95: HOWEVER - offering a "fully apple compatible gui" was never it's advertised intention, and the feature was supposed to be minimal.

Qt's purpose was to prevent a fraud against consumers, that people could not simply share their thoughts, photo albums, etc.

Microsoft never participated: microsoft did (likely still does) do anythign they can to commit fraud upon consumers.

The issue is: becaue a consumer pics this or that "PC" does not mean the company should have any legal right to tamper with their "family photos" or "diary" or what in such a manner to prevent them from sharing this with others. The promotion a computer allows one to create portends one can share what they have created: anything else is truely known as: FRAUD

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

slackguy wrote:early Qt allowed apple consumers to share their printed documents, audio, images, and video to other platforms (ie, win95).

Qt LATER advertised a feature of allowing apple users to release programs using Qt that worked on apple and win95: HOWEVER - offering a "fully apple compatible gui" was never it's advertised intention, and the feature was supposed to be minimal.

Qt's purpose was to prevent a fraud against consumers, that people could not simply share their thoughts, photo albums, etc.

Microsoft never participated: microsoft did (likely still does) do anythign they can to commit fraud upon consumers.

The issue is: becaue a consumer pics this or that "PC" does not mean the company should have any legal right to tamper with their "family photos" or "diary" or what in such a manner to prevent them from sharing this with others. The promotion a computer allows one to create portends one can share what they have created: anything else is truely known as: FRAUD
Please explain...

Libreoffice can read any M$ formats (that I am familiar with).
I dont believe that is true of Apple formats (I might be wrong - dont even know how to turn an apple on).

thanatos_incarnate

#7 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

So, the way I understood it, libav was the less douchey alternative to ffmpeg and its snotty devs. Nowadays it seems the other way around. ffmpeg has more activity and also backported all the patches from libav.

@slackguy: How did you get from "does libav have the same hardware codec support?" to "Apple tampers with my files"? :lol:

BTW, LibreOffice 5 is introducing support for the Pages file format.