Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE and GNOME

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
sprucio

KDE and GNOME

#1 Post by sprucio »

Does anyone have any idea when the next version of KDE and GNOME will be upgraded to unstable?

I love Debian but it takes a bit for them to upgrade their desktop ends. This weekend, I tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu but went right back to Debian. I guess I'm just too used it Debian and I can't say that Ubuntu was better.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

Before things like KDE and Gnome are put in unstable, a lot of work is put into making them at least reasonably working. So it can take a bit, especially close to releases...

But Gnome 2.10 should be in unstable now, and the newest KDE soon. KDE is held up by a big transition in unstable now (C++), which breaks a lot of things...

sprucio

Stability

#3 Post by sprucio »

This is the exact reason why I was going to use Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) but I'm still afraid of the stability of both those OS'.

Ubuntu has been pretty solid but Kubuntu has been a nightmare. I must say, it may not be Kubuntu's fault but rather KDE so I guess this is the reason why things take a long time.

I primarily always use testing since I find that unstable releases new and updated versions way too frequently then I would like.

Of course I can always stay away from upgrading packages but as stated in the Debian page, testing is a bit more stable then unstable. How true is this? I suppose everyone's got an answer.

Jeroen

#4 Post by Jeroen »

testing surely is supposed to be more stable than unstable, and it indeed is. That doesn't mean it never breaks, but some care is being taken that dependencies are generally fulfilleable, and buggy packages typically don't make it into testing if the severe bugs are discovered in time.

Sometimes though this is overridden for the sake of getting some transition done, so as for all non-stable Debian releases, if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces. But I myself have run testing for a long time without any real problems. For the next months though, I'll stick to stable (sarge), awaiting the biggest transitions to have happened to etch... (dpkg, apt, C++).

sprucio

#5 Post by sprucio »

I guess sticking to Sarge isn't a total bad idea for the time.

I was really contemplating on using Ubuntu but Debian's always been the most stable of the flavors I've used in the last 4 years so I think this really weighs down on my decision to stick with it.

I did have testing break down on me .... back in .... 2003. Then again, I was still new to Debian then so it might have been me but other than that, testing never gave me problems.

Speaking of which, there's a tiny annoying problem with KDE and the LCD look that I'm trying to get in the clock. From what I can tell, it still hasn't been fixed but again, it's really a minor problem.

Does anyone know when etch is supposed to appear?

Jeroen

#6 Post by Jeroen »

etch is already there, but not released as stable. Should be end of 2006.

You jumped in testing at a time it was already quite stable. Except much more unstabilities, also to unstable, in the next half year.