Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Developers spread thin...

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
mdevour

Developers spread thin...

#1 Post by mdevour »

Interesting thread on debian developer list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/20 ... 00643.html

Totally apart from the pros and cons of the proposal by the original poster, the glimpse into the state of the developer teams for some major packages is revealing.

Boy, if I were some kind of billionaire and wanted to help the project, maybe I could hire a few dozen programmers to dive in and help... Or has that already been tried? :wink:

Also worth noting, in the very last handful of posts (in thread view) a potentially useful idea emerges. So the thread may have a payoff.

Mike D.

shoof

#2 Post by shoof »

The big issue here seems to be manpower, I think they still need to take a good look at the new maintainer process and revamp it, make it a little more friendly, maybe also some pages detailing how people can help with bug hunting and maintaining packages, sort of an apprenticeship to becoming a DD.

benuski

#3 Post by benuski »

I agree. I would love to do as much as possible to help Debian out, but I don't really know how to code(yet), so there is no way I could be a package maintainer.

Thats one thing I think Debian could take from Ubuntu, is that they have gotten people to get really excited about helping with bug tracking, or editing the wikis, or posting help to the forums, or doing lots of other things. Then people can become a "Master of the Universe", which, as far as I can tell, just involves packing up programs into a .deb. Now, that last part can't really happen in Debian, because every package is tested a lot more than Ubuntu's, but its something to keep in mind.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

HERE is a great howto on bug triage that was posted to the Debian Women mail list a while back. It's fun and rewarding and really takes no special skills, just some dedication.
Make sure to read the instructions and howtos for the BTS

Enjoy

Tina