Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

what is going on?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
JaDa

what is going on?

#1 Post by JaDa »

I just wondering about the development!

Kernel in Etch 2.6.18-4 I think it have taken 3 mounth from 2.6.18-3 to 4! Actuell is the kernel 2.6.18.8 or 2.6.20.1!

and what is going on here? Start Novell/openSUSE development now to build the new debian etch Kernel's?
http://software.opensuse.org/download/K ... bian_Etch/
openSuSE 10.2
Debian etch
Arch Linux 0.8 (Voodoo)
you never walk alone :)

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: what is going on?

#2 Post by Lavene »

JaDa wrote:I just wondering about the development!

Kernel in Etch 2.6.18-4 I think it have taken 3 mounth from 2.6.18-3 to 4! Actuell is the kernel 2.6.18.8 or 2.6.20.1!
Yeah, let's fire the developers right now! What a useless bunch they are...
</sarcasm>
Actually, Etch is frozen while it gets polished for the overdue release.
and what is going on here? Start Novell/openSUSE development now to build the new debian etch Kernel's?
http://software.opensuse.org/download/K ... bian_Etch/
Maybe they're interested in the Debian patches or something? No need for them to reinvent everything if the Debian kernel (or part of it) does what they want... I don't know.

Tina

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

If you want 2.6.20 add the following to your sources.list
# Debian experimental kernels #
# deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/ trunk main

Or grab the sidux 2.6.20 kernel from here:
http://www.sidux.com/files/kernel/
It also runs well on my Etch installation.

Or simply compile one of your own.
Debian Linux Kernel Handbook
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/

As previously stated and anyone that runs Debian should know by now, Etch is frozen.

"Debian “etch” Release Information"
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/

Anyway, why is the latest kernel always such a big deal? The latest isn't always the greatest.

Most sidux users are using 2.6.20, 2.6.18.6-slh-up-1 works for me and I see no reason to upgrade it and risk having issues.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

plugwash

#4 Post by plugwash »

JaDa wrote:Actuell is the kernel 2.6.18.8 or 2.6.20.1!
If you want a distro with the latest of everything go and use gentoo or ubuntu but don't come crying to us when things break.

debian releases are aimed at those for whom quality in general and particularlly small numbers of regressions (stuff that worked before but no longer does) from one stable release to the next are more important than having the latest features. It takes time to test and polish a kernel to the standards needed for a debian stable release and moving to a new upstream version of the kernel would ruin much of that testing and polishing work so for debian to ever release sooner or later they have to say no to new upstream versions and polish what they have.

JaDa

#5 Post by JaDa »

plugwash wrote:
JaDa wrote:Actuell is the kernel 2.6.18.8 or 2.6.20.1!
If you want a distro with the latest of everything go and use gentoo or ubuntu but don't come crying to us when things break.

debian releases are aimed at those for whom quality in general and particularlly small numbers of regressions (stuff that worked before but no longer does) from one stable release to the next are more important than having the latest features. It takes time to test and polish a kernel to the standards needed for a debian stable release and moving to a new upstream version of the kernel would ruin much of that testing and polishing work so for debian to ever release sooner or later they have to say no to new upstream versions and polish what they have.
stable release 4.0r0

can't start Xserver!

I decide to go with KDE
DVD 4.0r0 bin1 i386
Base Install
Reboot
apt-get install xorg
Reboot
apt-get install kdm
apt-get install kde
Reboot
Error Xserver can't find screen

vi etc/X11/xorg.conf
after one hour trouble shooting startx works
Next Bug, why apt is using Sarge and not Etch repo's? No problem replace the Sarge with Etch repos and add contrib and non-free :wink:
Laptop
Next Bug, Kernel panic :)
insert a PCMCIA Netgear - 10/100/1000 Gigabit Notebook Card GA511
32-bit CardBus interface; RJ-45 connection; 10/100/1000 Mbps
the same with a
insert a PCMCIA Linksys Wlan Card

now tell me something about Kernel development and stable release :wink:
openSuSE 10.2
Debian etch
Arch Linux 0.8 (Voodoo)
you never walk alone :)

Jackiebrown

#6 Post by Jackiebrown »

I just installed it (Lord are the servers slow - being hit hard today) with no issues.

I typed

apt-get install kde-core kdm xorg discover mdetect xresprobe

and I am good to go.

Installing the Nvidia drivers was painless as well.

(Just my experience of today - the German servers are still running fast. I was consistently hitting 840 Kb which is the norm form me.)

rickh

#7 Post by rickh »

apt-get install kde-core ...
Hmmm! Do you know what the difference is between kde-core and kdebase?

Edit: Never mind, I got it. kde-core includes kdebase plus a few other packages ... Probably better for kde users.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97