Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The state of universal packaging in Debian

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
rosedovell

The state of universal packaging in Debian

#1 Post by rosedovell »

I've been out of the loop on some of the universal packaging news(XDG-app, flatpack, snaps, etc) but I'd like to develop some universal packages that mainly have Debian in mind(I know it should be distro-agnostic in the long run but my main concern is that these packages work on Debian first), and I have a few noob packaging questions.

1. ) Is there any 'blessed' universal packaging system for Debian? From what I understand snaps are Ubuntu specific(at least so far) so I was wondering if flatpak is preferred/more likely to be used. I'd like to avoid doing a lot of work that won't get used by Debian if at all possible.

2. ) This question might depend on which packaging system is used but I was wondering where my final products would be stored. I've read that there are flatpaks being developed for Debian Experimental, are those packages hosted by Debian or is there an overarching maintainer for every distro? (or do i host the packages myself?)

Thanks for any info!

-Rose

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: The state of universal packaging in Debian

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

rosedovell wrote:I was wondering if flatpak is preferred/more likely to be used.
Seems likely, Red Hat usually beats Ubuntu :D

flatpak is already available in sid:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/flatpak

I haven't tried it in Debian but it works extremely well in Arch:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 5#p1635595
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Edited---- I misunderstood the question,
sorry.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-06-21 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

rosedovell

#4 Post by rosedovell »

Thanks for the resources both of you, if there's already a package in Sid then I think it's safe to say that for the time being Debian is choosing flatpak and I'm going to move forward with that.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Edited, --oopsed!--- misunderstood the question,
again, I am sorry
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-06-21 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@Garry: please read http://flatpak.org/

The OP is asking about distribution-agnostic packaging methods, those Debian packaging links do not apply here ;)
deadbang

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by oswaldkelso »

Zero Install is a decentralised cross-distribution software installation system. Other features include full support for shared libraries (with a SAT solver for dependency resolution), sharing between users, and integration with native platform package managers. It supports both binary and source packages, and works on Linux, OS X, Unix and Windows systems. It is fully Open Source.
http://0install.net/

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/zeroinstall-injector

Been in Debian for yonks
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ :)

Of course, these are all just distractions.

The real future is outlined in this blog post:
http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how ... stems.html

:twisted:
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2016-06-21 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:@Garry: please read http://flatpak.org/

The OP is asking about distribution-agnostic packaging methods, those Debian packaging links do not apply here ;)
Oh,ok , Sorry, I guess I was misunderstanding , I also had not read the link, yet,
any way sorry about that.

HuangLao

#10 Post by HuangLao »

:|

why not stick with .deb dpkg? leave flatpak/fannypack and snap for the corp. distros that have to produce new fancy things to make shareholders happy.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

I've only tried appimages, but they do allow for the use of newer applications on platforms that you can't get them to work on, no matter what, via the Debian packaging method. (such as vlc 2.2.3 on Wheezy)

Pros: People using stable can get updated userspace applications without risk of creating FrankenDebians, as they so often do.

Cons:
Take up more disk space, like Windows applications. (LWA)
Probably less efficient in CPU & RAM resource usage. (LWA)
Available only for some architectures. (LWA)
May lead to security exploits. (LWA)
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

HuangLao wrote:why not stick with .deb dpkg?
This is a very valid point.

Distribution-agnostic packaging methods bypass the maintainers that police the content of distributed software.

See http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/
deadbang

sgosnell

#13 Post by sgosnell »

If you package your software as a universal package, which any distro can install, you may increase your userbase by a large amount. That's the attraction. The downside is that the package is going to be huge, because you have to include all the necessary libs. Using flatpaks, snaps, etc, there could easily be dozens or hundreds of copies of libc6 on the disk, for example. Terabyte, probably multiple terabyte, drives will be necessary. That may or may not be a showstopper. I well remember when a few-hundred megabyte HDD was state of the art. I was always well behind the state, though, and thus never had a lot of empty disk space. Right now, I'm running my desktop with 64GB SSD and an external 250GB HDD, with plenty of empty space. That won't work if I start installing very many snaps/flatpaks/whatever. The last I heard, a LibreOffice flatpak was well over a gigabyte by itself. There is still a lot of controversy on the Redhat/Gnome mailing lists. Not everyone is buying in, and there are potential security issues. It's far too early to tell what the outcome will be, nor whether Redhat or Canonical will emerge as the winner, if either does. IMO it's far too early to jump into this mess.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sgosnell wrote:The last I heard, a LibreOffice flatpak was well over a gigabyte by itself.
That was a mistake -- they packaged the debug version.

The actual size is ~350MiB, which is still quite large.
sgosnell wrote:Using flatpaks, snaps, etc, there could easily be dozens or hundreds of copies of libc6 on the disk, for example.
It's not quite as bad as that, the programs can make use of shared "runtime" packages -- see the flatpak.org link I gave above ;)
deadbang

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

It'll probably turn out as predicted by xkcd:

MX Linux packager and developer

Danielsan

#16 Post by Danielsan »

I am happy about bundle package, but I am lesser happy about Canonical/Ubuntu stuff, anyway flatpack is older and more reliable than snap, is a community project and not a secret project by a crew of fanboys, most important is not hosted in a proprietary server and you don't need to subscribe any CLA. If I have to choice which bundle of course flatpak is my choice.
However when snap is under a huge marketing campaign for not what reason, I feel these bundle software are a good opportunity for me to try some software which is really impossible to compile, I think is more reliable using a bundle instead to do: make, make install, make uninstall. Now I could try easily Gimp, Krita or Scribus development branch without going crazy because I am not able to compile them.

I already post this article in an other post but is good to read here as well: http://www.infoworld.com/article/308626 ... ource.html

EDIT

I would add this, only the older distros as problem with different version of packages and libraries guixSD allows different version of packages and libraries stored in the home folder.

HuangLao

#17 Post by HuangLao »

I have serious doubts as to the ability of the flatpack and/or snap packagers to properly maintain all the depends in each package. IMO the current method has served very well and spreads out the responsibility of maintaining/patching packages. Do we really expect a packager of xyz snap or flatpack to also be an expert on all of the dependencies in question? This sounds like openSSL all over again, except across many distros.

https://www.isotoma.com/blog/2008/05/14 ... -disaster/